3. Grand Celebration
What should of be a very Fantastic Vacation turned out to be the Cruise from hell... First off I called before ever purchasing my Package to make sure it would be handicapped accessible I told each party . People selling package, and called the cruise line and everyone assured me it was. I explained My wheelchair was over sized and gave them dimensions o chair all assured me they noted that told them my bathroom needs very specific need roll in shower and bathroom I could get my Wheel chair into and needed bars the whole nine yard only to get onto the ship and find that the chair would not fit through the door of the room period. The room was too small to maneuver even a small wheelchair in and the bath room had a threshold that was about 4 to 5 inches high that you had to step over not chair accessible...mind you I asked during the boarding process when they issued me the cabin they said they did not know if it was or was not accessible I asked them to please find out before I boarded the ship because if it was not it was pointless for me to get on. They made me go down to another line even though I was in the one that said wheelchair/ Handicapped Accessible The one assigned was indeed not so they found one that was supposedly.... so our bags go to the original room at some point while we go to the 2nd room assigned to me which is the one I just described above. Went to the people on the ship that were supposed to be able to help us and nobody knew anything about any thing I kid you not. They gave me the run around. I finally asked for manager they said they were sorry they could not help me with this that I would have to go back off the ship and ask them where I boarded about it... Not only was this ridiculous for so many reasons it was the height of people boarding and the ramp and plank and area we came up on where small and it was hard going over some of the places on the flooring that connected the structure to the ship and I was going against traffic by the time I got through it and back to the person who issued me the room I was so upset, so angry in a lot of discomfort and about to cry. After about forty-five minutes of waiting and explaining that the cabin they issued me I could not get in.......So finally they found a room that was at least able to get into and get into the small bathroom if I left the door opened and my chair half in and half out... Thank God my friend I was traveling with was a dear and old friend I knew for years and was a Physical Therapist so I was not so embraced but still....Then we had to wait hours for our bags to catch up with us and never made it out of the room that night to enjoy the ship too tired and in pain.... Just needed a place to lay down and use the rest rooms because non of the restrooms in the public main areas where not accessible and all my depends had meet there limit as well. I also must mention that the wheelchair which is 28.5 inches wide barely was able to get throught the elevator doors My chair barely made it throught the doors.........My experience once on at the Bahama Port was frightening because it was not at all handicap accessible it took three Big men to help me over the ladder like walk way which was so narrow and was made of thick roping like netting for the sides and railing and four men to literally pick up my electric wheelchair which weights about 178 pounds by it's self over their heads and carry it over to the land side of the bridge like walk way then I had to walk mind you which I can barely do. I have very arthritic knees and am a Big Heavy woman...... I was so shaky and not to mention the pain and stiffness I was in. It took me for ever one step at a time with the help of these men . But I had come this far and I had a week at an all inclusive very Fun and very accommodating Resort Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach - All Inclusive in Freeport………. Coming back on the ship you would think after all the hassle I had the first time they would of made note of it and made sure as I asked them to make sure I get a Accessible Cabin with the large roll in bath room. But guess again …… Incompetent but at least this time they did not make me get off the ship in the Bahama side….. That is the one of the little flickers of light in this story but they did not even give me a handicapped cabin it was a small twin cabin same as when Boarding this time I did not set quietly out of the way I made a big stink about it in the main lobby telling everyone in line about it…. They told me they did not have anymore rooms they where booked….. I told them I needed to Speak With a Supervisor and then they came and I had to tell them how to check and ask the people booked in Handicapped rooms if they were in true need or just a preferred preference because they where slightly more roomy….begin a Therapist myself traveling with another PT . I explained ambulatory verses non ambulatory need for a Handicapped Accessible room. They said they would check but would not know till everyone had checked in and the ship was on it’s way. Then I explained well if I have to use the rest room It will not be pretty out here in the lobby because non of your bathrooms that are for the public are Accessible…….. I had been prepared and had extra depends in my purse but where would I of had to change them right their in front of God and everyone or down a hallway in a corner…..I think it finally sunk in and they recommended that we go up to the Restaurant and get something to eat and try and relax they will try and find something….On the way to the restaurant I started chatting with a group of people who politely asked if this was my first time on a cruise ship I said Frist trip yes and last I told them of my experience as luck would have it a kind Officer in a Uniform overheard the conversation and took my hand in his and said Mademoiselle I am so sorry for your experience have they found you a cabin yet. I told him no not yet he said well come with me we went to the elevators my Friend and I cause only enough room for the two of us and he meet us at the Help Desk……Turns out he was the Captain & needless to say with in the hour we had a perfect handicapped cabin better than the one on the way there and while we waited we had free Drinks……….. We enjoyed the rest of the night on board and the next day enjoyed breakfast as we docked back in Port Of Palm Beach……. I will say this the wait staff in the cabin areas were all cheerful and nice and ready to try and help both coming and going but other staff did not smile or acknowledge you..... Except The Captain.

Not at all handicap accessible if you are moderately or severely disabled.

Grand Celebration Cruise Review by reaudan

• Sail Date: March 2015
  • Destination: Bahamas

reaudan’s Full Rating Summary
Get Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line Grand Celebration price drops

Cabin not recall
Very small will not travel them again