• Cheers to 25 years: Celebrate with Us!
  • Find a Cruise
  • Deals
  • Excursions

Island Princess Review

Editor Rating
15 Awards

I thought it was a great cruise, but port intensive.

Review for Island Princess to the Eastern Mediterranean

the Lido decks are partially covered...about 1/3 to half from the Sanctuary
the Elite Lounge..Sushi night
Halloween on board
Halloween decorations
you can seen the over hang from the sanctuary above.

I am in my mid 70's and my husband is in his late 60's. We have both been to Europe several times, and I have been to all of these places except Corsica and Mykonos....and as it turned out, Santorini. We took an upsell for a full suite which we thought was a good chance to try out a suite and as it was a special cruise we decided to go for it.. We were in L723...one of those feared aft suites that everyone has complained about....Anyway, Arrived and stayed in Rome for several days before the cruise...I was trying to force my husband into carry on but that didn't work so we each had a suitcase with us. We would be in Europe almost a month, and there was no way I wanted to lug luggage around trains, buses, ships, and planes...We started small but ended up large. Had to bring home all that wine...:)

Anyway, originally we had planned on taking the train to the port but in the end, we decided it would be easier to let our hotel arrange a transfer which they did. Embarkation was fast and easy...filled out the health form that yes, we were still alive, kicking and we did not have Ebola to our knowledge...and we were on board. Took the elevator right up and opened the door. I was surprised. I have seen pictures and have been in other people suites but this was almost brand new...Large living space, comfortable couch. flat screened TV's...One in the bedroom and one across from the couch. Nice desk with our own stationary on it, a mini bar set up, and a brand new bathroom.....all marble...nice soaking tub + a great shower...(with a door) and expansive balcony...The balcony had one lounge, a table and 2 chairs. All were cast aluminium and very comfortable. Thick blue cushions...headed up to explore the ship...Those aft cabins are way to close to the spa..:) and had a bite to eat.

Downsides....THAT GYM.....HORRID...old equipment and looked a a gym from the 50's. Please fix that Princess...My husband works out several times a week...He hated it...so did all of the entertainment and the crew who used it too... Me? I gave up on it after 5 minutes....The Patisserie? no, it is not....just call it a coffee bar and be done with it...other than that, the ship it great. I had no problem with anytime dining...but I have to say we tend to eat late....They had a pig one night that has the best chicharrones that we have ever had....The buffet was great...everytime we used it. Service was excellent...I don't demand much, we are pretty easy campers ..... just some ice and extra glasses...so it is not too hard.

Vista Suite with Balcony

Cabin S6

great cabin....little vibration, not enough for us to notice except occasionally...when it did occur, it usually was at night and when they seemed to be going a bit faster. oh yeh, we are on a ship....:) Would I book that cabin again? a resounding YES...

Port Reviews

Rome (Civitavecchia)

Rome is a vacation all of its own. If you can, please make an effort to spend several days here. It is well worth it.

Florence (Livorno)

We arrived on a Monday when all of the museums are closed...My husband probablly wished we went to several museums instead of the leather stores which abound...Bring $$$$$$ or a good credit card. gorgeous shoes, purses and other leather goods.

Corsica (Ajaccio)

saw quite a bit of Corsica. Lots of walking, lots of steps, well worth it...saw numerous wild goats. Our guide was a British gal who married a Corsican...She was great...bought some honey to go with the cheese..

Naples

went to Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano...I thought it was an excellent choice...

Venice

this is a great 2 day port...although 2 days are more like a full day and the night....

Venice after the day trippers go home is a totally different city....incredibly beautiful and sultry....crowded in the day times...

Kusadasi

loved it here too, Went to Ephesus....saw the tree that I climbed when I was 8 years old....Glad we both are still around.....great food....beautiful country..

Mykonos

glad it was November and no other tourists there...got some amazing photos...and the weather was great.

Cannes

Went to the Farmers Market very close to the port, bought cheese, figs, and prosciutto to bring back on the ship and have a picnic on the balcony..Oh yes, and lilies..I would have liked to get out of Cannes to see the medieval hill villages, but just decided to stay at home and eat some good food, Cannes is quite modern and not much to my liking. This was the one port that I could have skipped, but the farmers market was quit nice.

4 Helpful Votes