3. Norwegian Escape
My husband and I were on the 3-day sailing of the Escape on November 11th, which was the U.S. public inaugural sailing. We booked in February 2015 when the sailing was supposed to go to GSC and have one sea day. In July, NCL changed the itinerary to Nassau + one sea day. I seriously considered canceling, because we've gone to Nassau plenty, but my husband convinced me not to and I'm glad he did. Going in, we knew that this was the second sailing after the TA so there would be kinks and not everything would be perfect. I think that helped our view of the Escape and the trip itself. Embarkation: Really easy! We arrived at the port at 11:30 a.m. and were on the ship by noon. We are Silver Latitudes members, but were put in the Gold/Platinum checkin line, which may explain the fast checkin. Overall, we were very impressed with the ship. We've sailed the Epic and the Sky (as well as other lines), and knew the Escape was an improvement on the Breakaway and Getaway, which were improvements on the Epic. Layout: We very much liked the layout of the Escape. There were some similarities to the Epic, so we found it easy enough to navigate. I'm still glad those fish on the carpet point forward, though! Stateroom: We were in a balcony on deck 12 aft. Enjoyed the location and the room was spacious for two of us (but held four people). We have not sailed the Breakaway/Getaway, but have read the balconies on those ships are quite small. Our balcony (angled) was quite comfortable, and it looked like a lounge chair could have also fit, along with the two chairs/table. Would have been tight, but it looks like one would have fit. Margaritaville: Was complimentary when we sailed, but we waited 1 1/2 hours one day and 2 hours another day to eat there, so I can see why the have changed it to an a la carte menu. The food was good, and once we were seated, service was good as well. But the wait...you had definitely had to plan if you wanted to eat there! And perhaps grab a snack while you waited. MDRs: We've found the food on our NCL cruises good to very good, so dine in the complimentary venues. We have yet to dine in a specialty venue because the complimentary food has met our needs. Therefore, we dined in each of the MDRs (a different one each night) as well as O'Sheehan's, Margaritaville and the Garden Cafe. Food is subjective, but we found it to be very good in all venues, despite menu changes and fewer menu choices in the MDR. Spice H20/the Grotto: Favorite part of the ship, particularly the grotto. So happy it's adults only. That policy was not enforced on our Epic cruise earlier this year, but we were glad to see it enforced on the Escape. The Waterfront: This was our second favorite area on the ship. We enjoyed walking around pretty much the entire ship and loved the views from the aft. Running track: My husband is a runner and ran on the ship each day. He didn't like the placement of this track (around the slides) in comparison to the placement of the track on the Epic (in a more out-of-the-way area). Also, the track "closed" around 8 a.m. each day, as deck chairs would be placed around it, but he got up to run early. Service: This was a 3-day cruise with a large group of about 900 on our sailing. Nearly everyone seemed to have the UBP, so on our sea day, the pool bars in particular were out of many of the popular mixes - Baileys, pina colada mix, mango mix. Also, bars were very, very busy, so bartenders rarely acknowledged who arrived first, second, third and so on. Instead, people just shouted out orders at random, therefore making bar waits 15-20 minutes at times. We saw one or two people walking the decks taking orders, but they would be stopped by the same groups each time and never would get to others. That is the only place service lacked on that cruise. Million Dollar Quartet: Thoroughly enjoyed it, even my husband! We did not see After Midnight or the Supper Club, since we only had three days. Disembarkation: As fast as embarkation. Perhaps it helped that it was a short cruise, but we walked off the ship at 8:45 and were through customs by 9:05. We sail again in January on a 7 day and are looking forward to checking out all the places we missed on this cruise!

U.S. Inaugural Public Escape Sailing