3. Norwegian Epic
Let me start out by saying I'm not a cruise expert. This review is probably going to seem overly negative but it isn't intended to be. We had some great experiences and some that were very poor. I hope I have pointed them out. 1. The app was really helpful. The calling and texting feature was very helpful. I only wish it would show your reservations 2. The elevators suck! 3. Burn the Floor was great. 4. Cagney's was great. Service seemed slow but maybe that's an American thing. 5. Check in was a breeze! 6. French restaurant was perfect. Great food. Great service. No pressure to move you from your table. 7. Teen Club apparently was excellent. I didn't see our Grandson for 7 days. 8. The band in the cavern room was great. They do Stairway to Heaven really good. 9. Rooms were just okay. The bathroom arrangement didn't really bother us but compared to our previous experience on Disney, the room seems really small. 10. For a ship so large you can feel it move a lot. 11. I'm not sure if it is just who is working which venue at the time but certain bars have absolutely horrible service. I stood at Maltings for over 10 minutes and watched 5 servers wait on 2 people. I ended up going to the bar at Cagney's and was waited on straight away. 12. The coffee bar is just as bad. I hope you don't need a caffeine fix right away! 13. Speaking of coffee. Very strange rule that coffee is not included in drink package. I ordered a coffee and Baileys at H2O (it was a little cold out on the deck) and I was told that I could get a Jameson and coffee but not Baileys. Like I said, strange. 14. If you are into cigars expect to be very disappointed in Humidors. There is no service at all, the selection of cigars is very limited and the place is over run with cigarette smokers. One woman even glared at me and complained loudly about the lack of ventilation. 15. As an American, I'm always a little unsure of the tipping policy in Europe. As the ultimate drink package was included in our fare and all of the receipts provided indicated an 18% gratuity I assumed that the servers shared in this money. After speaking to several servers I was informed that the reason they provide a receipt for your signature was to allow for tipping since they only receive a small portion of the 18% gratuity. NCL need to provide a better explanation to customers as to the purpose of this charge. I also prepaid the gratuity so I thought those that served us were taken care of. I'm not so sure. 15. Had a great dinner at the Italian restaurant this evening. The service was brilliant and the food was excellent. Only issue was the offer of coffee with desert and being reminded with the bill that it was not included in either the ultimate drink or dining package. 16. I have to give a shout out to my cabin attendant, Roberto. I mentioned to him upon boarding that I would like to get laundry done once during the cruise. He came by to see me to mention that tomorrow they had a $19.95 special. Works out great for me. 17. Live Champions League Football in Humidors tonight. Can't beat that while at sea. 18. Had a great tour of Rome with Best Tours of Italy. It's very difficult to get a good view of Rome in about 6 hours but they managed it. I would highly recommend this company to anyone considering a shore excursion not booked though the ship. 19. Upon returning to the ship NCL continued with being slightly disappointing. It had started raining and everyone returning was forced to stand in line for the single access point to the ship. As I have previously stated, the elevators are extremely slow and this was compounded, 2 of the 5 elevators at the single access point being broken. We finally gave up and took the stairs up 2 flights and walked the length of the ship to the forward elevators. I'm still not sure whether some of these issues are just not well thought out or if some of this is large company arrogance that we should just be prepared to tolerate. 20. Day 5 started sunny and chilly as we tied up in Laverno. We had decided to just stay aboard and enjoy the ship so we slept in. That is until around 9am they started setting off the ships alarms for a crew drill. We were unable to hear the announcements in the room so we had no idea what was going on. After getting up and throwing on clothes, we went out to discover that is was not intended for us. We relaxed the rest of the morning and decided to look for something to eat around 1030. We discovered that there was literally nothing open on the ship except for an outdoor breakfast bar with cold scrambled eggs. It was 40 degrees outside! The reasoning is that they close for an hour to take down breakfast and setup for lunch. I looked on the app and the daily paper and there is nothing that explains this. There is virtually no consideration for passengers interested in staying aboard for the day. Nearly every bar on the ship is closed, the only restaurant open is the buffet and as I stated it closes for an hour and every activity is closed. I should also mention that if you didn't sign up for an excursion, since the pier is inaccessible by foot, it costs €10 for a shuttle into town. I'm certain that all of the above besides the timing of the ships drill would have been invisible if the weather had been nice. When you are sailing the Mediterranean in late November the colder weather is to be expected. After all, I bought a jacket and scarf. I'm sure NCL could plan for the weather as well. 21. We were looking forward to having our Thanksgiving Dinner at Moderno's all week. The food was excellent but once again the service was at best, poor. We were there for 90 minutes and were never offered a second glass of wine or a refill of our water glass. As is the custom, we got our own salads and soup buffet style and the meat is brought around on skewers. We only saw 5 of the 11 cuts of meat in the 90 minutes and had to ask for one of those. We were asked if we wanted desert but by this point we had seen enough and decided to look elsewhere. 22. We went to watch Precilla and it was a good show. Not very well supported though. The theater was less than half full. 23. After the show we closed The Cavern again and had a great time. 24. The TV has a nice feature that shows reservations that you have made on the ship. The only problem is that it doesn't show all of the reservations that you made online prior to sailing. 25. I wanted to note that embarkation and dis-embarkation was very smooth and quick at the beginning and end of the cruise. 26. Palma was a great place to walk around. I wish we had more time there. 27. Howl at the Moon is a blast. I only attended the last night at sea and if it weren't for having to pack and an early departure the we would have closed the place We had a great holiday and will always remember our cruise on Epic. I would have to say though that without the great price I received, it is unlikely I would sail on NCL again.

Great price, but attention is lacking.

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by ddavis4040

2. The elevators suck!

3. Burn the Floor was great.

4. Cagney's was great. Service seemed slow but maybe that's an American thing.

5. Check in was a breeze!

7. Teen Club apparently was excellent. I didn't see our Grandson for 7 days.

10. For a ship so large you can feel it move a lot.

23. After the show we closed The Cavern again and had a great time.

26. Palma was a great place to walk around. I wish we had more time there.

ddavis4040’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 13 to 15
Get Norwegian Epic price drops

Family Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin M2 14061
Great location. Pretty small for 3.
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins