3. Oosterdam
First time to sail Holland America, although I have sailed on RCL, Princess, Celebrity. I really liked this ship as it was smaller and easier to navigate. Two hour delay in Charlotte airport so it was good we had planned to spend the night in San Diego. Holiday Inn was booked, and there was a shuttle to take us to the Inn. We walked to Sea Point Village and had dinner. Boarded the ship before lunch Only a walk across the street and easy checkin with a very helpful man. To our room which was ready and then lunch. Our room stewards were excellent and such nice young men from Indonesia. My daughter and I took the guided tour of the ship which was a good way to get orientated immediately. Food on the Lido buffet as well as meals in the Vista dining room were very good. The prime rib first night for me was a delicious choice. My favorite desserts were the souffles. My son was always the ice cream eater. He was especially happy to find there was lemonade to drink which meant he did not need a soda card. One thing I specially liked at breakfast was the helpful waiters-always ready to get anything you needed. Another thing I liked was the silver on the table. I cannot understand how people complain about the food as there are always so many choices. We chose Anytime dining which worked well for us. You meet so many people this way. We never had to wait as we were always willing to take whatever table was available. Entertainment was always good. The young singers and dancers were excellent. John Denver Songs by Jim Curry A magic show with dogs, the audience, and the magician's wife definitely held the audience's attention. My son and I liked the piano bar with Jim Fischer-especially the Elton John performance. The culinary center was definitely a hit with my daughter and myself. We went most days. There are many learning activities as well as fun activities on the ship. We attended some of the basic Spanish classes. A trivia contest which our group won and received T shirts. Also the bingo but no winner this time. Game contest. I especially liked the gym. My activity was the bike and the weights. I attended one of the classes on health. I commend the company for the Susan Korman walk for breast cancer which I wish I could have done. The Ports: Having never been to any of these Mexican ports we were going to explore each of them. Puerta Vallarta we did the ship tour of the overview. It was well explained and guided by a Mexican History teacher. My daughter definitely had to go to the Walmart across the street from the cruise port. Mazatlan we took a golf port to the cathedral and then walked to the waterfront seeing the divers. Then to the "Shrimp Bucket" for lunch where Mazatlan definitely has some of the best shrimp in the world. Taxi back to the ship. My son and daughter went back to the dock for some shopping and hair braiding for my daughter. Cabo San Lucas is a beautiful sight with its rock formations coming in. We were tendered and the astonishing thing was seeing all the pelicans on boats, docks, etc. There are many vendors along the streets. We really wanted to do a whale watching tour from here,but the tours from the cruise ship were sold out. Later someone told me they took a boat for $10.00 from the dock and were able to see them We did see some of the spouting of the whales from the ship, and I missed a pod of them when I was in the gym. The spa: Excellent hot stone massage. My son won a facial which he gave to me. Worship Service on Sunday led by a lay man from Vancouver singing the old hymns and Bible ready. Not Catholic,but I did attend the Catholic Mass as I met the priest on the elevator on the way to mass. Another activity I always enjoy on cruise ships is the tea. An opportunity to meet people and share stories. One thing I learned is to take warmer long sleeve clothes than I took. It was chilly on the ship in the public areas. You can regulate the temperature in your cabin. It only warmed up as we got down into Mexican waters. I would not hesitate to sail Holland America again. It is always such a joy to be with your children. Very impressed.

Delightful Oosterdam

Oosterdam Cruise Review by polly2us

The spa: Excellent hot stone massage. My son won a facial which he gave to me.
polly2us’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Get Holland America Oosterdam price drops

I like this deck in the middle of the ship. One thing I did not like about the closets there was not enough room for the clothes to hang straight. Our balcony was nice. We used it mor to view than actually sit. We had a quiet location.
  Oosterdam Deck Plans