3. Viking Embla
I enjoyed many aspects of my Viking "Grand European" bus tour. Which basically means I enjoyed the European towns we visited by bus. Viking offerred us a really sweet deal on their November "Grand European" river tour. Unfortunately they failed to mention to us that their boats couldn't sail due to low water levels on all the rivers we were supposed to sail, the Rhine, Main and Danube, and that we would be traveling far away from these scenic rivers, by buses. I take particular umbrage at the fact that they booked us knowing full well that the rivers were unsailable, and had been since early June, but never told us. When we arrived on our boat, everything just got worse. Everyday they lied to us. We were bused to four seperate boats on our 14 day extravanga, two of which never sailed. We had one afternoon of "scenic river cruising." We are younger retired people and travel about 4 months a year. I have simply never had a travel experience like this. I suspect Viking may think they can get away with their deceit because many of the people who take these cruises are elderly and were too overwhelmed by the experience to do anything but weakly complain. It was particularly galling to me to see what happened to the "leisurely" cruisers, those elderly people who booked the cruise so they could sail and see, while not able to walk and tour. These people were bused to restaurants, where they sat and waited for the bus to drive them to the next destination. Elderly handicapped people were forced to walk in the rain up and down boat ramps, up and down bus stairs, pack and repack. Their health and welfare were essentially endangered by Viking. Besides all of this, here are some other factoids about Viking: Did you read Vikings PR about how the chefs prepare "regional delicacies" from local markets? Malarky. I saw the canned food being trucked in one day while I stayed on the boat and everyone else was off on their bus. There were lots of canned onion rings, canned stale cookies, really mediocre food. Did you read about their free wifi? Malarky again. The wifi didn't work. They had two wired ship computers for "guests" which were infected with malware which infected everyone's computers who used them, a Viking gift that keeps on giving, even after you come home. Our last day was especially memorable. We were bused from Vienna to Slovakia where we had lunch in the cheesiest Holiday Inn you have ever seen, with really the worst meal anyone could remember. Steamed ice cream scoops of rice, and microwaved chicken breasts with no sauce. Slovakia had amazing food available at their Christmas markets and restaurants but we had a schedule to meet on our bus and had no time. We then were bused through Hungary where four buses, 186 people arrived at a Mc Donalds, I kid you not, to use the two available toilets. Really special. Thanks Viking! Viking gave us "free round trip airfare," except of course when the airline they booked us on went on strike. After one solid day in Budapest wrangling with Viking trying to arrange air transport home, they finally booked us on a flight from Munich to DC to home in San Diego, six hours before the flight departed. Unfortunately we were in Budapest with insufficient time to arrange transport to Munich. So we paid $4,500 to arrange our own last minute costly flight home. If all goes well on Viking, I hear it can be a very nice experience. If all doesn't go well, you are really out of luck. Please see yelp for more current reviews of the viking experience.

Viking River Cruises

Viking Embla Cruise Review by thea12345678

• Sail Date: November 2015
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Veranda Stateroom
I enjoyed many aspects of my Viking "Grand European" bus tour.

Besides all of this, here are some other factoids about Viking:

So we paid $4,500 to arrange our own last minute costly flight home.

thea12345678’s Full Rating Summary