3. Pride of America
I consider myself a young avid cruiser. I have cruised since the late 80's. This was the least favorite ship and cruise of all. I will mention a few things that spoiled the experience. Strong sewerage smell in the cabin restrooms. This occurred throughout the trip. This ship for some reason doesn't stabilize very well, you will have very rough movements, especially at night. If you are prone to sea sickness, this is not the cruise to take. Cruise staff in the restaurants not that good. Some were inattentive. Buffet area: I heard more staff talking amongst themselves sounding like young immature teens. Some friendly and some definitely not. Dining in this buffet area is too small. It is obvious staff here do not have much experience in the hospitality industry as something was definitely lacking. Some were overworked in the seated dining rooms. NCL- shame on you for cutting staff. There were no busboys in the dining rooms to assist the waiters. Naturally everyone was always rushed and busy. This was the first time I ever cruised and never "cleaned my plate" for any meal. the food was mediocre at best. I was certainly not impressed and found food to be bland, cold, just blah. No special meal nights. No special waiters. I learned by taking this cruise that I don't care for freestyle cruising. That Cadillac diner had the weirdest greasy wings I have ever seen. YUK! Some items in the buffet was good, but overall I am so glad I didn't spend extra on any "specialty" restaurants. Cabin was ridiculously small. The little bit of furniture space to place your clothing items were broken - hard to slide drawers. However our cabin steward, Paul (I couldn't pronounce his real name so he said I could call him Paul) was extremely attentive and did an excellent job. Kept our room clean, tidy and responded to any requests we had. Not many activities on the ship. Entertainment - so-so at best. Just something to do at night. I enjoyed meeting many Australians on the ship as this seems to be a popular trip for them. The BEST thing about this cruise is the itinerary! What a way to visit many locations! I loved that the ship stayed overnight in Maui and the other port. Shore excursions are way too expensive. Some excursions, the guides just would NOT stop talking!! very annoying. I recommend renting vehicles on the days the ship will spend overnight. this is the most economical way to do this. One exception, do not try to drive the road to Hanna on your own. Let someone else do the driving. It is too treacherous. All ship excursions are overpriced, rushed tours that are crowded and don't allow for anything but quick hop on-hop off photo ops. You also run the risk of getting annoying guests on your bus. I recommend that you plan to rent cars for all locations for peace, quiet and your own reflections. Use guided tour apps if you can research what is available. Kauai was the most beautiful island. Take advantage of the wonderful narration by the ship after you depart. Get up on deck early to see that wonderful view of the Nepali coast, because it becomes crowded quickly. Waimea drive is awesome! Maui - you could easily drive there. We took the excursion to the resort beaches. Since you stay overnight, you could even book a room at one of the resorts there to spend a quiet night and use the pools/beaches. I would definitely come back to this island. Hilo and Kona on the big island of Hawaii- Hilo was good for the volcano tours. You can do that on your own by renting a car. the Volcano tube is fascinating. Kona is a bit kooky. Don't get suckered into the black beach on Kona. it is small and dirty. Bring beach shoes as the walk into the water is not easy barefoot. I didn't see many kids or kids activities, therefore I would say that it is not a good one for children. Not much information on the travel to and from the ship to embark and disembark. although because customs is not an issue, I would say embarkation and disembarkation was easy! Overall, I am glad I did this cruise. It taught me that I really don't care for the "freestyle" cruise and I will not try to use Norwegian again. I've got that out of my system. Back to Royal Caribbean! I paid over $3000 for this cruise alone and it was not worth the price.

Great Itinerary-only ship that starts/ends in Hawaii Don't like NCL..read more..

Pride of America Cruise Review by nolanativeinATL

• Sail Date: October 2015
  • Destination: Hawaii
  • Cabin Type: Family Inside

nolanativeinATL’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian (NCL) Pride of America price drops

Family Inside
Cabin I1 9703
Too small - wow I can't even imagine if the bunk beds were down. it was ridiculously small. and strong sewer stench from time to time. Furniture busted, drawers that wouldn't open close well. Ship moves a LOT! Annoying how much it moves.

Great cabin steward though.
Deck 13 Inside Cabins, Suite Cabins