3. Navigator of the Seas
I have been reluctant to write this review because we had fun IN SPITE of Navigator of the Seas and I would prefer to dwell on the positives. However, I depend upon Cruise Critic reviews to help me make good cruising choices so I felt I must warn other cruisers - there are far better options out there. We chose this cruise because of the great itinerary. I have happily sailed on Freedom and Oasis class ships many times and I mistakenly assumed that an older but recently refurbished ship would have received updates that are more than simply cosmetic. Navigator of the Seas looks like a very nice ship. Sadly, it does not smell like a very nice ship! Our cabin (Deck 7 Family Oceanview overlooking the helipad) was unfortunately in one of the smelly quadrants. In talking to others on board, their experiences varied from being completely unaware of sewage smells, to having feces coming out of their shower drains. Three hallways led to our cabin at the front of the ship and we quickly learned to take the port side hallway as it was the least smelly. Same with the outside promenade deck - your choices were smoking smells on one side, or sewage smells on the other. We managed to keep the odor problem from affecting our cabin by keeping the sink drain closed at all times and putting towels in front of the shower drain. Perhaps I was overreacting to the odors, but I also didn't like the taste of the water and for the first time on a cruise ship, I only felt safe drinking bottled water. And as others have already noted, embarkation was a total mess with thousands left standing in the heat and impending rain while not a single RCCL representative was to be seen. Many complained that when their suitcases were finally delivered to their staterooms, they were soaked through after having been left outside in the heavy rain. It is not in my nature to only dwell on the bad things, so let me mention the saving graces of our cruise. The itinerary is truly excellent, the staff were friendly, and the Elvis and Elton John headliners were very enjoyable. The pool band was also the best I have heard. We were initially disappointed not to get a private table for 4 in the main dining room, but dining at a large table with our delightful table mates turned out to be a pleasant highlight. It somehow seemed fitting to dine old school in the lovely and very grand main dining room. I have celiac disease and once again, the staff were very knowledgeable and excelled in preparing meals that were enjoyable and safe in both the main dining room and at the Windjammer buffet. I am not giving up on Royal Caribbean because compared to other cruise lines, I enjoy how they make cruising fun. However, after this experience I will not sail on a ship that is more than five years old.

Refurbished But Should Be Retired

Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by heartscontent

heartscontent’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas price drops

Deck 7 forward on Navigator of the Seas is unfortunately affected by sewage issues. The cabin itself, however, is extremely spacious. We traveled with three adults and this cabin felt more like a large hotel room than a cruise ship cabin. The double pull out couch was actually comfortable. It has a separate bunk room which would make it perfect for a family with small children. Being at the front of the ship, it is susceptible to pitching during rough weather, but the view from the two front windows overlooking the helipad is great.
  Navigator of the Seas Deck Plans