MSC Divina Cruise Review by carol smith
- Sail Date: October 2015
- Destination: Transatlantic
- Cabin Type: Fantastica Balcony Stateroom
Cons: 1. The food in the buffet - deck 16. The catering is for the European clientele and not for Canadians, British and American. Food is heavy and sits in pools of oil. Very difficult to find food to eat. Also noted that the food handlers did not use gloves. Passengers were not encouraged to use Purell. The buffet area was congested during the lunch - 4:00 pm hours - people were actually fighting over food, no seats available. The coffee is pathetic as is the iced tea.
2. Communication to passengers on the ship: Almost non existent except for emergency announcements that did come through to the cabin. If the cruise director was speaking, you had to open your door to hear what was being said. Not much communication from the Bridge - no information re " we are approaching the port of ....and passengers will disembark on deck .... For disembarkation we simply had to guess what deck to go to or just follow those walking down the stairs also looking for the exit.
3.Stateroom - well the bathroom was the best part. The rest - well - needs updating. The couch, carpet and bed have seen better days. The bed linen/pillows need to be replaced. The sheets are thread bare and not clean. The duvet cover smelled like it had not been changed from the last passengers.
4. Staff at the guest services - often rude and non accommodating. Stateroom attendant: Not very effective - never knew when he was going to show up - didn't always tidy up the room very well - was rude to me at the end of the cruise and we did not give him a personal tip.
5 .Michael the Shopping Consultant - really? Does everyone really have to line up to get a letter from him for the shops - particularly in Barbados - we had been five days crossing the Atlantic and people were anxious to get off the ship. We were all backed up at the exit due to people getting letters from Michael signed so they could shop in stores that apparently would give you a discount with his signature. Must be a better way of doing this.
1. Ports of Call: Barcelona, Malaga, Funchal, Barbados, St. Martin, Martinique, St, Thomas & San Juan - all exceptional choices - wonderful experiences at each port of call.
2. The ability to self assist at the end of the cruise - easy and seamless.
3. Lounge Staff - especially those who are working on the ship and are far from home - we met two lovely young people on Deck 5 - they were friendly and most accommodating to our needs and also loved to chat with us.
4. Safety - passengers did the mandatory training on embarkation and also the staff did their safety training on a regular basis. Very impressive. The coast guard also did inspection of the ship - also impressive. We felt very safe and knew what to do and where to go in an emergency situation - fortunately did not need to do so. All went well.
Just as a comment, I know cruise lines have their own excursions for the various ports - but having some information on what is available locally would also be of great assistance. You do not get this information until you are off the ship and meet with the local tourist folks or individual vendors. It would have been helpful to have a map and some information so informed decisions could be made prior to arriving at Port. Definitely this cruise line, as are others, are in the money making business, but it certainly would enhance the customer service level.
We have used other cruise lines and will definitely not use MSC again.
250,000+ people have entered their email
Port & Shore Excursion Reviews
BarbadosJust visiting downtown Bridgetown - have been there before - unfortunately was 40 degrees and very humid - but did check the downtown out before going back to ship and air conditioning.View All 1,520 Barbados Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Barbados Cruise Port Review
City TourHave visited Barcelona on several occasions - short port of call to pick up passengers. Always interesting and enjoyed the food.View All 247 City Tour Reviews
City TourAbsolutely the best port of call. Funchal is so clean and inviting. Would go there just for vacations.View All 27 City Tour Reviews
Malaga City TourWas great except for it poured rain!! Beautiful city and enjoyed meeting the people and learning about the history of Malaga.View All 38 Malaga City Tour Reviews
Island TourGreat tour - very informativeView All 47 Island Tour Reviews
City TourSmall group tour - very informative re history of San Juan -View All 230 City Tour Reviews
Island TourInformative - beautiful place to visit.View All 364 Island Tour Reviews