Pacific Eden Cruise Review

A new low in hospitality standards

Pacific Eden Cruise Review by Davidw672

• Sail Date: Nov 2015
  • Destination: Australia & New Zealand

Sold as a shiny new ship, Pscific Eden was floating chaos. Fresh from dry dock, most of the public areas were shiny and new, yes, but that's where any similarity to The Love Boat ended.

The majority of staff on board may have been brand new, but had received little training and functionally ranged from just coping to inattentive and slow, to down right rude.

The dining was mediocre at best, in fact we found the restaurants basically unusable. Twice it took 3 hours to serve a 3 course (average) meal, so we gave up and just used The Pantry, a floating food hall. The food here was also average. It varied little each day, especially the breakfast. I never need to see cold bacon and uncooked toast again.

The worst part of the experience was the service. Except in our case for our cabin stewards who were excellent. Everyone on board was unhappy. Some cabins had no air con, there was no room service (the phone just rang out). The in cabin movies were in constant repeat and featured such classics as 10 year old episodes of The New Inventors (same episodes repeated constantly throughout the cruise) and week old weather from the US.

I tried hard not complain but my patience was tested when I was asked by a member of the reception staff, "well, what do you expect me to do about it?" This was a reaction to my complaint a the fact that The Edge, the ships adventure area with flying foxes, funnel climbs etc was not functioning for the entire cruise. The manager of this 'service' was in a meeting for three days! I queued for 90 minutes to be treated with disdain.

The ports we visited were excellent, but there were issues with the tender service. NOTHING ran smoothly. Getting off was slow and disorganised, we almost missed flights. It was a relief to get off. We felt like Guinea pigs on a practice cruise. Full price paying Guinea pigs!

Supervisors, managers and chefs were conspicuously absent from public areas. In light of the complaints and chaos they should have been taking some responsibility. I asked for a complaint form but none were available. I approached an officer in a hallway and he literally RAN away from me.

On the plus side, some of the entertainment and bands were good. The ship itself is only partly refurbished but quite pleasant.

We made the best of our cruise and would cruise again but no way with P&O.

I intend to follow this up and have asked my travel agent the same. I'm sure though, that any complaint I make will just be ignored. Cruisers beware!

Davidw672's Full Rating Summary