3. Splendour of the Seas
I was coming from a military base in Afghanistan to meet up in Venice with my son to cruise the Mediterranean for a week. We had a fantastic time, embarkation was quick and smooth, the ship was very clean, the staff was impressive, the weather was great, and all of the port stops were nice. The one disappointment, which was no fault of Royal Caribbean's, was cancellation of the Athens visit due to a strike that prevented us from using the port. The Captain was able to reroute us for a stop at Split, Croatia instead and although it probably wasn't comparable to Athens, it was a small but lovely stop anyway. I realize that everyone cruises for different reasons, and based on that people may have completely different expectations, but for us the ship was perfect. The mid-sized ship didn't have all the bells and whistles of the newer mega-ships but I wasn't cruising the Mediterranean to go on a sky-diving simulator, do some ice skating, or smash around in bumper cars onboard anyway so Splendour of the Seas was great for relaxing and cruising around the Greek Isles. We only went to the main dining room once and honestly were not too impressed with the food, although I promise you it was much better than I would have been cooking and eating at home or being served on the military base, so I am not complaining at all. It's much more likely that we were just spoiled by the excellent wait staff and large variety of fresh food at the more casual Windjammer, which turned out to be our favorite place to dine. I'm puzzled by some of the reviews I have read that claim there is little to no variety of food, and complain of poor service or quality of food. Windjammer had themed dinners like Greek, Spanish, British, etc. on most nights so you definitely had choices and the food was fresh. It was always served at the correct temperature so items that should be hot or cold were as expected. And as far as service, my experience was - it was outstanding! Very attentive, friendly and personable, quick to clean the tables or pick up dishes at the end of your meal and bring coffee or tea. I never felt I was being rushed out of the Windjammer even during the busiest times. Kudos to the wait staff! I knew Splendour was an older ship and I had read about the engine fire less than two weeks before our sailing, so we really didn't know what to expect as far as condition of the ship. We were pleasantly surprised to find everything very clean and well kept. We noticed the almost continuous cleaning and maintenance during the cruise and at the ports. There always seemed to be friendly pleasant workers polishing, replacing trim, scrubbing, washing windows, and at port stops repainting the outside of the ship. You could tell the crew took pride in keeping her well maintained. I'd definitely go on Splendour of the Seas again. I'm only sad she is leaving the Royal Caribbean line next year. I hope there is another mid-sized ship very much like her, to take her place on this route.

Very nice cruise, one little hiccup...

Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review by sfoster8

• Sail Date: October 2015
  • Destination: Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Superior Interior Stateroom

sfoster8’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Splendour of the Seas price drops

Superior Interior Stateroom
Cabin J 8023
I had a large interior room on the 8th floor which was nice, with plenty of storage. The closet did not have any shelves, but there were lots of drawers and a few shelves near the desk area. The bathroom was small of course, but well designed except for the sink faucet which was set too far back so that it was sort of difficult to wash your hands. Overall, pleased with the room. I hadn't booked an interior room before but knew our itinerary would be port stops every day except one sea day, so I wouldn't be in the room much anyway. It worked out just fine.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Suite Cabins