3. Celestyal Crystal
We are seasoned cruiser's and world travelers. We fully understand that places outside the USA can be quite different since we have traveled to China (lived there for a total of 12 weeks) , Russia and many other countries. This cruise ship, and I have to assume company, are by far the worst we have encountered. Avoid this company unless you are prepared for very poor service, food and tours. Here are a few of the events that caused four of us to come to that conclusion. 1. Food: The standard fare is buffet unless you can time your life to their inane sit down schedules. The food served in sit down is the same as the buffet.. Coffee is instant unless you pay for the upgraded beverage package. Getting a glass of water is via ONe small , very slow spigot at the bar. Que lines abound at the buffet with little thought given to flow. (folks wanting desert have to step through the line waiting for the main foods). Forgot your silverware? back to the line for you! Tables to sit to eat can be scarce. Institutional food is a description that gives more credit than is due. 2. This is a converted passenger ship and it shows. They like to tout that is is not like other cruise ships in that it is not "cookie cutter" but in reality the room selection is built to confuse and has no rhyme or reason as to the price and value. Our initial room was with limited view two beds and two chairs. On the second day out the ship was refuled. Somehow fuel oil got into our cabin. We asked to be moved since the odor was strong and affected our breathing. We were told nothing was available. They sprinkled some chemical around the room. No help. They cleaned the carpet. No help. On the fourth day we were given an option to take another room. We moved to clean air but a smaller cabin with two beds and no chairs. We had to crawl over each other to get in bed. All along I asked for a consideration to our expenses. I was told we were given an upgraded room. At the end of the cruise I asked to speak to a manager regarding our room experience. The person on duty refused to come out to speak to me. The messenger just kept saying we were treated fairly and should be happy we got an upgrade. So the bottom line here is if you have a problem during the cruise , you are not likely to get any sympathy or assistance. 3. Tours on our ship followed the food and cabin experience. Our first land cruise involved about 25 people. We were given head sets so we could hear the tour guide. At the first opportunity our guide asked us to turn on the head sets. My wife's did not work. She tried to stand close to the guide but there were many other guides in each area of interest and the guide kept moving around the group. Upon our return to the ship I advised the person taking the audio devices that my wife's did not work. He said that tomorrow they would give me better devices and threw the device in the pile of devices. I asked how they would know which one did not work. He said that was someone elses problem. I went to the land cruise desk and complained. They said they were sorry but nothing could be done. The next day we were one of the last groups off the ship. When I asked the tour guide where we could get audio devices , she said they were out of them. As an aside , I noticed other cruise lines had much more modern devices for their customers. Our third land tour had the same results for the audio plus they combined English and non English people on the same tour. Very difficult to understand what was being articulated. The good news! We hit every gift shop at each stop! Very normal activity for cruisers. 4. Entertainment and the hard working souls on the ship helped mitigate the otherwise very poor experience. Bottom line is to avoid this Cruise line.

Worst Cruise ever

Celestyal Crystal Cruise Review by Mike the Elder

• Sail Date: October 2015
  • Destination: Greece

Bottom line is to avoid this Cruise line.
Mike the Elder’s Full Rating Summary