MSC Divina Cruise Review

MSC Divina Cruise Review by Jimmy 1941

• Sail Date: Oct 2015
  • Destination: Transatlantic
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Stateroom

Arrived back in North America last week after an 18-day cruise from Genoa across the Atlantic Ocean to Miami on the MSC Divina This was our first trip with MSC so we were open to it being different to other cruise lines. Prior to booking this trip I must confess I never gave it a thought that being as the cruise started in Italy and being as it was an Italian ship most of the passengers would be from Europe. In fact, 90% of the passengers came from Europe and only about 10% came from North America so there were not too many people that spoke English.

I found that the ship was spotlessly clean and there were always people around cleaning the carpets or the walls and stair rails. The upper decks were kept clean and they had to be dried off after the rain showers so that it was not slippery. I noticed from our balcony that each day a crew member was inspecting the life boat area checking to make sure that all the lights were on in the panels.

We ate mostly in the buffet and I must say that there was a large selection of different meat dishes. There was an area for salads where you could make up your own. The fruit was abundant and needless to say the pizza was always available. I have never seen fried egg and sausage pizza before. I would like to have seen a few more green vegetables but that’s the way it is. Deserts were very good. My only problem with the food was. Coming from North America we don’t use olive oil like they do in Europe and I found all the dishes oily. I noticed that when they grilled the hamburger patties the tray they put them in had oil in the bottom. On other thing that surprised me was I did not see any Chinese food or Sushi or Indian curries. Once again its most likely because they were catering to a largely European passenger list. On the other cruise lines we have found these dishes.

Talking about the passengers I have never seen so many rude and grumpy passengers. Twice I got pushed out of the food line by ladies waving their arms and raising their voices about something. One man even reached over my shoulder and picked up a piece of pork with his fingers, sooner than wait for me to put down the tongs. I was also shocked when I went to the pool deck. The crew were putting the lounge chairs away. The deck was covered with empty paper cups, beer glasses, and other junk food wrappings. People were too lazy to put their garbage in one of the bins when they left. I still find it disgusting at men wearing a speedo bathing suit when they are 60 years old with a big beer belly.

The crew members were good and always had a word for you. But I would suggest to the management of MSC that they have a few words with the officers that walk around in their white uniforms and their noses stuck up in the air. They should stop now and again and say hello to the passengers. It was very apparent when we were in the lounge waiting for disembarkation. Four officers came into that lounge and spoke to the bar tender. They didn’t appear to being any hurry but not one of them spoke to the 40 people in that room and asked how they liked their cruise. They just chatted with the bartender.

The ports of call were all very good and we enjoyed seeing them all. I was surprised in Barcelona when we had to return to port with a sick passenger. This ship does not have a heliport on the bow deck to take off sick people.

MSC made a big mistake stopping in St. Thomas because it’s a territory of the USA and everyone had to clear USA Immigration. St Thomas is a very small place and there were 4,000 people, on the ship. For us it was OK we were part of the 10% and saw the Immigration officer at 8.15am and were finished at 8.16am. But for the others from Europe who had to show visa’s or the ESTA forms they had a long wait. I heard them page for the last group at 3.30pm. So those people would not have had time to go ashore. They should have gone to another Island and did the USA Immigration in San Juan which is bigger port and we were there for almost 24-hour.

In general, we had a great trip but I am not a fan of the ship, I found it to be confined and the colors are boring. If you like red, Grey, and Black you will be OK. I understand that the ship is dedicated to the great Sophia Loren from the 1950’s and the ship reminded me of the 1950’s. There are lot of bars and lounges but there is not to much of an open area. In the evening the area of decks five and six where the stair case is was jammed with people you could not get a seat.

We had a nice balcony on deck 11 and the cabin was like must of the cruise ships. It did not have a speaker in the cabin so when an announcement was made you had to open the cabin door to hear what was going on. On other ships they had a speaker in the cabin that you could switch on and off or turn it down. We missed almost all of the captains announcements.

But I just did not like the ship and I would not travel with MSC again It just was not for me.

Jimmy 1941's Full Rating Summary

Balcony Stateroom
Cabin B2 11102

Nice balcony with spacious cabin. I like the way they left the space open under the bad so you can get rid of your big suitcases

City Tour

Good tour very informative

View All 284 City Tour Reviews
Madeira (Funchal)

This is one of the best Island there is It is spotlessly clean. There is no Graffiti on walls and roads. The Taxi cabs are spotless and are all Mercedes's. Ask one of them at the dock to take you on a tour of the Island or take then Red bus tour

Barbados

we were in Bridgetown and it is not a good representation on the Island of Barbados. I had three Rasta men stop me and ask for money.

Martinique

Fort De France reminds me of Jamaica except they speak French

St. Maarten

St Maarten is very clean and the people are great. They all speak English and are willing to help you.

St. Thomas

Part of the USA it was raining very hard and we did not see to much But it looks like a very beautiful island lost of trees etc.

San Juan

Its a very old town But I noticed they are going through hard times. A lot of the stores were all closed up and several buildings were abandoned.

Jimmy 1941