3. Pride of America
We decided to go on this cruise for the destinations which included 4 different islands in Hawaii. It was the chance to experience 2 islands that we had never visited with the ship in port everyday of the cruise. When we embarked on our Hawaiian cruise, we had already read some of the disappointing reviews. We knew the ship was an older ship with an older crowd so we expected that the entertainment and ship was not going to be the same great experience as some of our best caribbean cruises. However, we didn't expect that we would be so disappointed in the cabin and food on this cruise. Upon entering our cabin, we encountered a stench that smelled like crap. We have never had this problem on any of our previous cruises. We immediately contacted someone to come in and take care of the problem. They came in to freshen the room and take care of the smell. However, the crap smell appeared throughout the cruise. We mentioned it again to the manager of the cabin steward and she said that other passengers had mentioned the smell and it was a "technical problem". She offered to have the steward "freshen the cabin" and sprinkle something on the carpet. I don't think that ever happened as we had to sleep with the balcony door open in order to get some fresh air. Our food was another disappointment and we didn't have too many great choices in the restaurants. I had a noodle dish one night with mushy, overcooked noodles and ended up eating only half my meal. The potato soup and broccoli cheese soup were pureed (maybe for the old people). It was nasty and I couldn't finish it. One night we decided to eat in the complimentary "East Meets West" restaurant but we didn't enjoy the flavor of the food. It was just OK. For my 50th birthday, we ate in Cagneys which is always very good. Another night we couldn't find anything that we liked on the complimentary restaurant menus so we decided to eat in the french restaurant which was good. While in port, we tried to eat on the islands to avoid the generic food on the ship. The best meal of the week was the Beef Stroganoff. Also, most of the meals were not hot, including breakfast. We don't like to eat at buffets but I had a better omelet at the buffet because it was made to order and hot. This ship is lacking in entertainment as well. They had an old group playing (I think it may have been Four Seasons music). We also saw a magician one night that was not impressive at all. This was our 8th cruise and we have seen far better entertainment on other NCL and Royal Caribbean ships. The ship needs to step it up a little and provide better entertainment. I also found the cruise director and her staff to be lacking in personality compared to other cruises. The ports were great and this is the only reason for going on this cruise.

Pride of America; Nothing to be Proud Of.

Pride of America Cruise Review by VieraMaggie

• Sail Date: November 2015
  • Destination: Hawaii
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

VieraMaggie’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian (NCL) Pride of America price drops

Balcony
Cabin BE 10138

The cabin is also very small and seems to be one of the smallest cabins we've ever stayed in. It was reminiscent of a cabin on our first cruise in the mid 90s. Severely in need of an update.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
    The tour was interesting and we were so happy that we were able to go to Volcanoes National Park. We were initially worried about taking this excursion because of the disclaimer warning about people with breathing problems because my husband has COPD. However, we did not have any issues. There was no lava but we did see steam vents and the caldera with smoke. We got out at several spots for photos and walked on a lava field. We also stopped at an orchid farm and the Mauna Load macadamia nut factory. Overall, a good trip although all excursions are pricey.
    View All 130 Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Reviews
  • Honolulu
    We stayed in Honolulu for 2 days before and 2 days after our cruise. We stayed in Aulani Resort (Disney's resort) which we love. Having already spent a week in Aulani a couple of years ago, we were familiar with activities on Oahu and drove around to experience the island as we had previously done. Lots of traffic and absolutely hate Waikiki because there are just too many people. Ko'olina, on the other hand is quiet and pretty and we love Aulani Resort and it's lazy river, multiple pools, and private beach.
    View All 641 Honolulu Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Honolulu Cruise Port Review
  • Hollywood - Hawaii
    We took the "Director's Cut" tour and we really enjoyed it. The guide was extremely entertaining (big personality and funny). He showed clips of films as we were riding by the real-life scenes. We had numerous stops along the way where we were able to get out and take photos. The trip took us up to Hanalei where we had an excellent lunch at a restaurant (included in the price of the excursion). We also had time to shop in Hanalei. Great excursion and beautiful island!!
    View All 23 Hollywood - Hawaii Reviews
  • Waimea Canyon
    We really enjoyed seeing Waimea Canyon and Fern Grotto. However, it is a very long tour and we returned when it was dark and raining so we didn't get a chance to walk around any of the shops or eat in the area near the port. The tour guide wasn't the best but Kauai is absolutely beautiful and I would consider this to be the prettiest island. It was interesting seeing so many roosters and chickens running loose. We were still recovering from our waterfall hike from the previous day so we were happy that we didn't have anything too strenuous. The trip included a boat ride to fern grotto and it was beautiful. Plenty of photo opportunities on the trip.
    View All 120 Waimea Canyon Reviews
  • Waterfall Adventure
    We had a great tour guide on our waterfall hike. It was very slippery on some of the paths so I was being super careful not to lose my balance. The guide provided support for the more difficult parts of the walk. I felt bad because the guide actually fell on one of the slick parts of the trail while trying to get in front to help me. The waterfalls were beautiful and we had a picnic lunch after the hike. We then had a little time to walk around some of the shops by the pier so we could buy some Kona coffee to take home. Great day!
    View All 10 Waterfall Adventure Reviews
  • Maui
    About 5 years ago we stayed on Maui for 2 weeks. We know our way around this island very well so we rented a car. We drove Hana road and stopped first in Paia to buy a picnic lunch. We had a great day on the road and then drove to Lahaina to eat dinner and walk in the shops and galleries. We ended up so exhausted from our busy day that we abandoned our plans for driving to Haleakala the next morning and instead drove to Lahaina for breakfast and more shopping the next day before returning the car. Car rental and return was easy and Maui is really easy to get around. There are lots of activities to do on Maui and you can't go wrong with any of your choices. Maui is my favorite island.
    View All 586 Maui Cruise Port Reviews