3. Viking Star
I booked this cruise 2 years ago along with my husband and 12 friends. On the whole, this was a wonderful cruise but there are still some kinks they need to work out as they transitioned from a river format to the ocean format. The cabin is fabulous with a balcony, great bed and covers, heated floor in a good size bathroom with a wonderful shower and lots of space for toiletries, a large tv and a large desk with a vanity. The food is amazing and the menus are wonderful in all of the restaurants. The bread and pastries are also incredible. The pool grill has huge hamburgers, hot dogs but their reuben is so delicious.These guys can cook. The two special dining rooms are the Chef's Table and Manfredi's Italian. Both are excellent but they are still working out some flaws to allow all guests a chance to book there once. Some guests got greedy and were permitted to book more than once closing out people even on day 1 when I boarded the ship. Food service is excellent though some days took longer to get our meals in the restaurant. World Cafe on deck 7 was excellent and quick. Best buffet food than most ships I've been on except maybe Regents and Azamara. Ship entertainers were excellent. The singers and dances were of high caliber. The shows are not like the huge shows as on the other ships but they are excellent. They do need to offer more times for the smaller lounge shows as I was closed out of one show which is disappointing. We had to pick up tickets for the cabaret shows. Some nights were movie nights and I enjoyed the ones I had time to see. Lecture series was good but they need more diversity with activities. Trivia was done only twice and no prizes which is fine with me. The first trivia was packed which should be an indication of its popularity. Second was Name that Tune which is was done quite differently and more of a challenge. The complimentary wifi was fabulous and the best ever on any ship. Not as fast as home but I loved not worrying about how many minutes I had left. The spa is great and the whirlpool, jacuzzi, sauna, snow room steam room and plunge pool are all included. The Infinity pool is small but fun and the jacuzzi there is also nice. The included shore excursions were excellent but some needed to be paced better so the groups weren't on top of each other. My only complaint was the last day when we went on a paid tour for $149 to visit the Underground Cistern in Istanbul. We only spent half an hour there and the other 2 hours wasted killing time. My friends who stayed on in Istanbul visited the cistern for $6.00. The included boat ride excursion was great and non of us on the bus wanted to go to this jewelry sales pitch but expressed that we would have preferred going to the markets outside the mosque we visited. I did spend time chatting with the shore excursion manager, Mr Theo and the another ship manager Mr. Karl Ekyl. Both were very attentive to my group's concerns and did address some issues especially for future passengers. I was pleased with the feedback and their responses to other issues and some were taken care of right away. I would return to the Viking Star but my husband prefers their river cruises. They are clearly still working out kinks and I can see they are trying. I am hoping they will do a transatlantic some day and expand to other areas. In spite of some issues, it is still a fun ship and I recommend giving it a try.

Viking Star fabulous, but still needs improvement.

Viking Star Cruise Review by chelseafizzgigg

chelseafizzgigg’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Star price drops

We loved our cabin and balcony. Our beds were comfortable. The bathroom had a wonderful shower with lots of room for toiletries and the floor was heated. Nice large tv on the wall. Our phone didn't save messages so that needed fixing. Refrigerator was a pull out filled with soda and water which was all complimentary. Only the water is replaced every day. I didn't drink regular soda so it was replaced with diet soda. Our cabin was quite comfortable.