3. Carnival Legend
We left Tampa on Feb 1, 2009 on the Carnival Legend. We had been on the Legend's sister ship(Spirit) in 2002. Here are a few of the details: Great ship, great crew, bad weather. We had 10-15 foot waves and 30-42 mph winds, but the ship was fairly level, and we encountered no problems with stability, thanks to a great crew and ship. The upper outside walking decks were closed several times because of high winds. Probably the best food since we were on the Carnival Glory(which, in our opinion, had the best food on the 15 Carnival cruises I have been on.) Embarkation: a breeze since we have VIP status; we arrived at the terminal at 10:30am and were on board by 11:15 am or so. You are allowed to carry one bottle of wine per person on board, and we did that with no problems. I had a water bottle in an insulated holder that I normally carry with me, and have never had a problem carrying it on board before. The woman at security was very obnoxious and said I could not carry the water on board; she proceeded to empty it in a container and basically tossed the empty bottle back to me. She then closely inspected the 2 wine bottles that we had brought with us, and had no problem with those once she determined that they had not been opened.! Food: For the most part, the seafood was cooked to perfection, even on the Lido deck. I love salmon but at a couple of times at dinner, it was slightly overcooked. The beef was probably the best I have seen on recent cruises. Cabin: We were on deck 8 with an extended balcony, so the view was great. I am not sure that the "extended" balcony was any larger than the last one we had, but Carnival says it was. The bed was very good, the towels were great, but the toilet paper resembled sandpaper! Dining: We had the open dining which allowed you to eat dinner anytime between 5:45 and 9:30 PM. It was fantastic, and I hope Carnival extends that to all of their ships. We normally ate between 5:45 and 7, and had no problem getting a table. Tours: The only tour we took was in Belize to the Mayan ruins at Altun Ha. The ruins were great, but the bus ride to get there was horrible. It was on a one lane, pot-hole filled road, and was very bumpy. On the return, the bus had a blow-out on one of the right rear tires, and they sent a "rescue" bus to get us. We were not impressed with Belize and would never go there again on a cruise. This was the Belize City and Altun Ha Ruin tour, and the bus took us through a really run-down, slummy area of the city; we could certainly have done without that part. The ship anchors about 4-5 miles offshore at Belize, and you have to get a tender to get to shore. With the large waves, the Captain had a hard time positioning the ship so the tenders could get to us. We had a 50 mph tender ride to the dock, with water splashing all over us not a great experience. Once we got to the ruins, it started to rain, and rained all the way back to the tender dock and to the ship. Certainly not Carnival's fault just a weather problem Entertainment: For the most part the entertainment was very good. One comedian, Marvin Bell, was horrible, in our opinionvery racist, and not funny. We did not do the fancy dinner club at $30/person extra, so cannot comment on that. The cruise director, Jen, was very good in our opinion. Captains party(1st formal night): free drinks, no snacks as on previous cruises; guess Carnival is trying to save money. Past-guest partyvery good; free drinks and snacks. Park West art auction: basically a rip-off on prices. I have bought limited edition s/n prints on Ebay for $30-50 that Park West was trying to sell for $600 up. And they were stingy on the champagne! The free prints that you win with the drawing are basically posters that are worth practically nothing, and they want to charge you $35 to ship them to you in a tube. I have bought prints from Park West on previous cruises, but would not do that again. They really push Peter Max prints at about 50-500 percent more than you can get them online at Ebay and other auction sites. Debarkation: There are always a few inconsiderate non US citizens who do not go through immigration on the ship when they are told to, and they delay everyone from getting off the ship on time. We had VIP status and were supposed to be on deck 2 at 7:15am to be first off the ship; it was after 8;15 am before we could get off. Carnival finally called the people by name at about 8 am to go to immigration; before that time, Carnival did not call the people by name as they have done on previous cruises; Carnival just said that if you were a non-US citizen, report to immigration. A major mess-up in my opinion on Carnival's part. Overall, a great cruise.

Carnival Legend-Feb 1, 2009

Carnival Legend Cruise Review by Tampart1

The cruise director, Jen, was very good in our opinion.
Overall, a great cruise.
Tampart1’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Get Carnival Legend price drops

Great bed, stable location(starboard side, midship), soft towels, sandpaper toilet paper
  Carnival Legend Deck Plans