3. Brilliance of the Seas
This was our second cruise on Royal Caribbean and our first repositioning cruise. As Floridians, we usually sail from Jacksonville, Port Canaveral or Fort Lauderdale. We found the embarkation process in Boston to be fine. The port was easy to find and the drop off seamless. The registration line was long for non-pinnacle or diamond members and we waited in line to register for more than 45 minutes. One of our traveling companions required a wheelchair assist and unfortunately she was made to wait an additional 45 minutes for to board. Once on board we were greeted with a glass of champagne and directed to the Windjammer Lounge for lunch. We were pleased that we were able to go to our cabin by 1:30 pm. Itinerary - This cruise began with three days at sea followed by visits to St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Barbados, Aruba, Curacao followed by three more sea days. Loved the ports of call but I wished that we had been able to stay in Curacao (my favorite port) more than just 6 hours. We took bus tour excursions in St. Kitts, Barbados and Aruba. The excursions were good and just long enough to give us time to to explore our ports of call and taste the local beer before re-boarding. We did not book excursions in St. Lucia or Curacao and those stops ended up being my favorite because we were able to explore the neighborhoods, taste the local beers and delicacies and mingle with the islanders. In St. Lucia we took the short walk to the IGA Supermarket for Banana Ketchup (really delicious) and only available in St. Lucia. Cabin - We were is stateroom 7064 which is an obstructed balcony stateroom. The obstruction was minimal and our view was not impaired (I do not need to look down). As with real life, you cannot choose the individuals in the adjoining cabins so I will not say more :) I was surprised by the amount of storage space in the cabin. Our cabin steward Marius did a great job and we looked forward to seeing him every day. This cabin is above the clubs and lounges on Deck 6 but we did not have any noise problems during the cruise. Dining - By far, the food was the worst part of this cruise. The food was overcooked and over salty. The menus did not vary much from day to day. The silver lining is that I did not gain an ounce after 13 days. We ate at both Giovanni's and Chops Grille and were very disappointed with both. I felt as though I was taken advantage of and will never book a specialty restaurant on Royal Caribbean again. Do yourself a favor and save your money. Oh and don't get me started about the coffee at dinner before dessert. My advice is that you order it with your meal if you want it before the end of desert. I would like to thank Paula for taking such good care of me after the first two days and keeping me adequately caffeinated. With regards to the Anytime Dining option...plan on it being a nightmare unless you plan to eat before 5:30 or after 8:30 pm. Long lines and overwhelmed matre d's. Activities - There was an adequate number of activities available. Loved the progressive trivia, captain talks, demonstrations, classes, mini-golf, rock climbing wall and fitness center. The best thing about this ship is that you are able to walk around Deck 5 completely which my husband and I enjoyed twice a day - every day. The fitness center was wonderful and had enough equipment so that we never had to wait. I really enjoyed the Ladies Pampering session in the Spa that was free. With all this being said, I was so grateful for the availability of Daily Mass. Thank you Father Connolly. Entertainment - The shows were great but the late show was way too crowded. We adapted our schedule to allow for the first show. The entertainment was well rounded and offered something for everyone. My biggest disappointment was with the RC singers...whoa, the volume needs to be toned down because the beautiful voices turned into screeching and screaming..very painful to listen to. During our cruise the outdoor screen did not work (no sound). I was amazed that no one could fix it. We really enjoy watching movies and sports events under the stars and were disappointed that this was not available. The movie options in the cinema were awful. All science fiction, adventure and sad drama. It would have been nice to have a light comedy selection for sea days. Loved the pool table! On Being non-Platinum --- Expect to be treated as though you are second class. Nothing to entice me to sail again. I felt slighted. All and all - It was okay...did not knock my socks off.

Repositioning to Florida

Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Review by alswaysawayflorida

• Sail Date: October 2015
  • Destination: Caribbean

All and all - It was okay...did not knock my socks off.
alswaysawayflorida’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Brilliance of the Seas price drops

Great cabin, clean and lots of space for storage. Obstructed view not a problem and the cabin is quiet.
  Brilliance of the Seas Deck Plans