3. Britannia
D deck with a balcony and sofa !!....small but useable for the time at sea. Glad we had the balcony as you will see. Embarkation was as we expected. Security was good and not over the top. Reception on board was less than expected. being greeted, however nicely, and guided to my lift by a security officer is not what I expect. P & O employ Hotel Officers and Assistants, they were conspicuous by their absence to meet and greet clients, who after all have paid a lot of money! Fortunately, my wife and I have professional links with working on ships, both transatlantic and Med' and caribbean cruise liners , so finding our cabin was not a great problem, but it would be nice to be greeted as guests, as apposed to be accepted as not a security threat !!!. Our cabin on D deck was with a balcony and sofa ! Small and just about manageable for our needs. Our cabin steward was on hand with our cases and professionally asked if there was anything we wanted then or during our cruise. A couple of small requests were made and I have to say, not forgotten. The cabin was clean and tidy and kept that way during our voyage. As we were with a party of some 15 other adults and a few children, it was the 2nd sitting for dinner that was chosen for us. Retrospectively, I would not have chosen this, however we did enjoy some good food and good service from the waiting staff. Having enjoyed a late dinner, it would have been good to avail ourselves of the late night entertainment. All I can say is that if you ate late, forget getting a seat in ANY of the entertainment venues. In fact on two occasions we couldn't even get into the theatre or lounge. Consequently, we resigned ourselves to having an early night and playing backgammon in one of the quieter parts of the ship or in our cabin. On The Britannia, the shows ( 3 ) we saw were really entertaining, but we had to watch the shows before dinner, which was not ideal. The appeal to clients of the Artists needs to be looked at, your shows were massively oversubscribed in all rooms/theatres. This leads to serious dissatisfaction and like us, disappointment. Sad, but true, some passengers sat through all performances on a single night....sad or selfish ??. Perhaps clearing the auditoriums after each performance might help. Public areas were generally clean and kept tidy. What I didn't expect was that trays of food and drinks were able to be taken out of the buffet restaurant and scattered throughout the ship. The mess was not what I expected, nor the fact that this mess was not cleaned up for several hours, despite staff, ostensibly serving drinks on deck, were ignoring it ! Not what I expect of P & O. Toilets in public areas !!! Need I say no more ? A constant problem it seems. Get them sorted out, a flooded , overflowing toilet is not a pretty sight, especially if one is disabled and has less access to toilets than most. ( P.s. We are not disabled but notice such events) Ships Officers ... Visibility to passengers........ Deck Officers are responsible for your safety and getting you from port to port in good time. Engineering Officers again make sure you are safe and that their machinery works to get you safely and comfortably from port to port. The ships Doctor and nurses....that speaks for itself ! Hotel Officers....those with bits of white braid between their gold braid should be responsible for your comfort, feeding, entertainment and general pleasure of being on their ship. Sadly less visible than the former Officers !!! As The Captain said at his Gala Party, Britannia is a glorified floating hotel.....so where were the Hotel Officers during our cruise ? Sadly not a good experience.

Less than Expected

Britannia Cruise Review by angusseath@googlemail.com

• Sail Date: October 2015
  • Destination: Caribbean

The cabin was clean and tidy and kept that way during our voyage.

Sadly not a good experience.
angusseath@googlemail.com’s Full Rating Summary