Viking Rinda Cruise Review

Viking Rinda Cruise Review by cpamom55

• Sail Date: Nov 2015
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: undefined

I just have to say it - we had an amazing time on the Rinda. All the staff worked hard to please the passengers. The food was excellent, the rooms were fine. Service over all was a 4 or 5.

However, as wonderful as the experience on the ship was, it was overshadowed by the terrible customer service provided by Viking's customer service.

You already know (if you've read other reviews) that the advertisements for Paris & the Heart of Normandy Tour did not really dock in Paris as expected by the advertising. They actually send you a letter after you book informing you that they were denied a docking permit. News flash: unless you take their airport transfers their answer on how to get to the ship is to spend approx. 50 Euros to take a cab from Paris (more if directly from the airport).

Our experience is that we were flying in a few days early, and declined paying for Viking's Paris extension. We were delighted to see on the website a few days before we left that there was now a shuttle bus provided to take ship passengers to Paris, and back to the ship so a day of shopping could be enjoyed. We called Viking to confirm that we would be accepted on the shuttle, and after three phone calls had confirmed the time and location (which turned out to be incorrect). On the proper day, we were at the site, however no bus. Three more phone calls to Viking (now at international minutes on our cell phone) netted three hangups, even though we provided our cell phone number on the third call. We finally took a cab to the ship. While on the way to the ship I turned on the data on my cell phone, and discovered that someone had written me back (not called - did they care that I was standing in the cold?) to tell me that there was no shuttle from a hotel (that's not what I asked for), and that I should take a cab.

Once at the ship, they were distressed to learn that I was given the incorrect location, and that they saw no reason why we couldn't be included on the shuttle. They also reimbursed our cab fare.

I actually spoke to the customer service rep that emailed me after that cruise was over, strictly by chance when I called Viking to complain. His position was that the shuttle would not have let me on anyway, since I hadn't paid for a transfer, and that the prior customer service reps that I spoke to before the trip had no right to give me that information.

My position is that if a company provides false advertising as to the location of their ship, they should provide transportation from where the ship should have been located to where it really was. And if the folks at Viking send you an email with times and locations, you need to back it up.

Also, even if you book your air through Viking air, you will never hear from them if the airline changes the itinerary (and they did for many of us). Viking clearly states it in their booklet, so keep checking the airline website regarding your reservation.

Moral of the story: If you're going to go with Viking, do it all with Viking. The folks who did had fewer complaints.

cpamom55's Full Rating Summary