3. Carnival Conquest
My third and likely last Carnival cruise. Let's stars with boarding... going thru security and check-in were painless. And then we were sent to stand packed a waiting room for quite a long time before we could board... I mean come on... seriously Carnival? Next came the muster drill... the absolute WORST I've ever had the displeasure of participating in. Look, nobody likes the muster and I'm no different, having sailed over a dozen times on many cruise lines I've had the "pleasure" of doing several drills, but this one was heads above all the worst. On most cruises the crew tries to get it over and done with as quickly as possible... but oh no... not on the Conquest... People packed on deck like sardines in high heat made to wait longer than necessary while someone who loves the sound of his own voice on the PA just yammered on and on about how good their rescue teams are and whatever else passed thru his mind... during which kids are crying, elderly people near us are vomiting from the heat and a few collapsing and as if that wasn't enough some of the ship staff are rude and impolite to some passengers! The cherry on top? Once the drill is over they do not release people and have us stick around an extra 5 minutes... Activities and shows on the ship are what one can expect on a Carnival ship, nothing spectacular but quite nice, organized and well attended. The house band in the atrium was very good and extremely versatile. As mentioned by many others in their reviews, the Conquest is an old and tired ship with a noticeable prop vibration when she is running at higher speeds. Half the laundry machines were broken in the Laundromats, and many of the public restrooms were filthy. On the other hand, pools are emptied nightly and there are more than enough deck chairs for everyone on sea days. Food selection, quality and service in the dining room was not impressive. The menu options were limited and most of my food was served cold and in one case inedible (fish so overcooked it had the consistency of playdoh). Service and food quality in the Lido cafeteria was better (imagine that!), but food selection and variety in the buffets was shockingly lacking. Tables were cleared off and cleaned rapidly. I ended up having dinner in the steak house a few nights, where food quality and service were excellent. Is Carnival going the NCL way with poor dining hall food to upsell it's pay restaurants? Leaving and returning to the ship on all the ports of call was quick and efficient, and the excursions I booked thru Carnival were exciting, well run and enjoyable. Grand Turk: I just walked off the ship and enjoyed the beach and snorkeling. Dominican Republic: Headed to Sanoa Island with friends, had a nice time but the algae "epidemic" made snorkeling a bit less pleasant. Curacao: Booked "Kayak Adventure" (Kayak and snorkeling) thru Carnival and it was AMAZING. Aruba: Booked "Beginners Scuba" thru Carnival and it was also great. They contract out to "Red Sail Sports" which is a PADI 5 star center who took the time for proper land and pool instruction before we headed out to sea. Finally comes disembarkation. As I had an early flight I was given tag #2, but in the end I'm glad I opted for self assisted disembarkation as we docked around 6:30 and they started to let people off the ship by deck around 7:30. Deck one and two took over 20 minutes each and faced with an increasingly hostile crowd with early flights they released all the other decks self assisted around 8:15. Who knows when they started releasing the tags. Going thru customs in Port Everglades terminal was a breeze as was getting a cab. The customs officers were quick and the police officer "wrangling" the passengers into taxis at the cab stand was seriously efficient!

So, this is Carnival now?

Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by Pat.D

My third and likely last Carnival cruise.

Grand Turk: I just walked off the ship and enjoyed the beach and snorkeling.

Pat.D’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Conquest price drops

Interior
Cabin 4E Deck 6
Standard inside cabin, nothing special but also I can't complain. The cabin was clean and my steward dealt instantly with a small drainage problem I had with my sink.

Hallways were very noisy with people taking loud and yelling at all hours. People walking with very loud music/radios in the hallways... seriously... I'd never seen that on a cruise ship.

Steward did an excellent job.
Empress Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins