3. Carnival Conquest
This was about our 7th Carnival cruise but the first one in the Caribbean on a Conquest class ship. We are used to the Spirit Class that has been sailing out of California. We flew in 2 days early to Fort Lauderdale and stayed at the Hyatt Place Convention Center 17th St. It was a great choice with a shuttle from the airport, breakfast and a good location. A taxi from there to the port was only $10. We booked our first suite as it was a 30th anniversary celebration. We LOVED the cabin! We had 7272 and we thought the midship location near the glass elevators was just great! There was no noise at night from the lobby entertainment because they closed the heavy corridor doors. Even though we had priority embarkation AND Faster to the Fun getting on board was a mess because we were not told about the health and customs inspections that took place before we were allowed on the ship. We also thought the safety drill on board was horrible because there were tooooo many people in toooo small of a space! Once those things were over we settled down to a lovely cruise!! We never had any trouble finding quiet spots to eat on the Lido deck. There was always something tasty at one of the buffet stations. We enjoyed Fish n Chips, the Pizza Pirate and the deli. We were not so interested in waiting in line for Guy's Burgers but folks looked like they were really enjoying them! I really appreciated the fact that there were salad options in many different areas instead of the one large salad bar on the Spirit Class ships. We had Anytime Dining as we like to pick our table mates. My sister and bro in law were with us on this cruise so we had a table for 4 each night. Before the cruise I had asked here on Cruise Critic for wait staff recs and we really lucked out!! We were told to ask for Olga and she was just great! Not only did she know the whole new American Table menu but her section was in the back of the dining room .We had a booth with no one around us so it felt very private! By the end of the cruise the dining room staff knew that table was ours even if we cam down to eat a little later than usual! We enjoyed the food and I think there was only 1 night that I didn't absolutely love the meal! I have heard a lot of complaints about the new menus and lack of tablecloths but we didn't notice anything bad or miss anything by having a bread basket on the table and a water pitcher right there too. I thought that Wee Jimmy was a great activities director! He was available and personable without being annoying at all! We liked the Playlist shows because even if we didn't love every type of music they offered the special effects held out interest and were amazing! There were few families with children on board and the crowd seemed to be energetic and interested in being up way into the night! A lot of the entertainment (comedy shows,piano bar etc.) started later than we would like. The one thing I thought was very strange was on the first elegant night when the "meet the captain and officers" was held in the smokey casino bar! Not sure why that spot was picked? We also missed seeing the captain and officers walking around the ship. I suppose on the smaller Spirit Class ships they are more visible. We like chatting with them and we didn't get to do that on this cruise We did a private tour in Ocho Rios (with Peat Taylor's company) because we wanted to go to Coyoba Gardens and some of the sights around the island. None of the ships tours seemed to have these two activities. We did a ship's tour in Cozumel to the ruins and with a rest stop at a beach bar/restaurant. It was great but very hot and buggy even with mosquito spray! In Grand Cayman our group split up . I did a private snorkel/stingray tour with Captain Marvin . I had originally booked a ship's snorkel tour but change it when I realized it had a large group of people and it left much later than I wanted to leave the ship. Even though the ship couldn't tender in the normal spot, Captain Marvin's company was right there waiting to pick up our group so they were very organized. My sister and bro in law did a ship's tour of the island with rum tasting and they enjoyed it.They were supposed to also go in a submarine but that part was canceled due to high seas. I think they got reimbursed some money for the part they missed. All in all we really enjoyed the cruise and would recommend it highly!!!

West coasters try the Caribbean.

Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by riffatsea

We booked our first suite as it was a 30th anniversary celebration.

Once those things were over we settled down to a lovely cruise!!

It was great but very hot and buggy even with mosquito spray!

All in all we really enjoyed the cruise and would recommend it highly!!!
riffatsea’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Conquest price drops

Ocean Suite
Cabin OS 7272
Loved the cabin!! It was right near the glass elevators so easy up to the pool/Lido and easy straight down to the foreward dining room.
The bathroom was luxurious with double sinks and a whirlpool tub. There were 2 great closets with plenty of hangars and the decor was restful.
Empress Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Mayan Ruins
    The bus was air conditioned and well maintained. The guide was extremely knowledgeable about Mayan life, language, the ruins etc!! It was a very hot (101F) day so it was uncomfortable after a while but we had time for refreshments/bathroom etc so it made the day a good one despite the heat.
    View All 377 Mayan Ruins Reviews
  • Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades)
    Our stay in Hyatt Place was a good one before the cruise
    View All 1,961 Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) Cruise Port Review
  • Snorkeling
    I took a Captain Marvin tour to Stingray City and the Coral Gardens for snorkeling.
    Even though the ship tendered in a different location than usual Capt. Marvin had a bus waiting for us. The boat was well maintained and the employees were professional and helpful. I particularly liked the fact that there were only 19 people. It was a great day!!
    View All 316 Snorkeling Reviews
  • Cobaya Gardens
    We had a private(4 person) tour to Coyoba Gardens and then through Fern Gully to some spots around the island. Peat's son "rePeat"(Peat jr.) was our guide.
    He was knowledgeable and fun! We ended up singing some old calypso songs as we drove along!
    View All 8 Cobaya Gardens Reviews