Insignia Cruise Review

Insignia Cruise Review by aemari

• Sail Date: Oct 2015
  • Destination: Asia
  • Cabin Type: Concierge Level Veranda Stateroom

First time cruisers on Oceania. My wife and I are both in our early 50's and have to admit that we felt very young on this ship, both in a positive and negative way. Spent two extra days in Singapore, which I would highly recommend to anyone embarking in this port, what a wonderful city to explore and an easy gateway into Asian cities and culture. The itinerary was outstanding, enjoyed every port. The ship was immaculate, well run, and beautiful to behold. Not much too do unless you enjoyed laying by the pool, playing bingo, painting, or learning bridge or needlepoint. Nighttime entertainment was lacking in my opinion, but only went to a few shows both because we found them to be not of our interested and somewhat lackluster, but also because we were tired from the day's events and went to bed early.

The food was incredible, some of the best I have experienced both at sea and in good hotels. From the Grand Dining Room to the Terrace Cafe to the specialty restaurants, we knew we would have an enjoyable meal.

The people we met on the ship, both passengers and staff, were very friendly and engaging. Staff was very helpful. It seemed most passengers enjoyed being on this ship and this trip, although there were some "entitled" people who always seemed to find some fault.

Embarkation and disembarkation went very smoothly with no hiccups. Oceania excursions were for the most part very good, well run, trips with knowledgeable, English speaking guides. As noted, they are more expensive than private tours and more rigid, but I heard from some passengers that set up private tours of some problems that were no present with the ship's tours.

Overall, we were extremely happy with our first Oceania experience and in fact have booked another trip for next year, if that is any indication.

aemari's Full Rating Summary

Concierge Level Veranda Stateroom
Cabin A2 7094

Our cabin (7094) was small but comfortable, clean, well decorated, and serviced by an attentive staff. The bathroom was quite small and I could see being quite claustrophobic in it if one is a large person. Bed was very comfortable and inviting at the end of a long day, slept very well. Noise was at a minimum. One thing I would mention is that we were directly across the hall from ship engine(?) that made a loud cycling noise whenever ship was sailing, but actually was not disruptive when cabin door was closed. However, if you are very noise sensitive, moving 3-4 cabins forward or aft eliminated the noise. Loved the veranda, spent time there reading, talking, sightseeing, and taking photographs. Not sure that the concierge benefit is worth the extra money, we will likely take B2 veranda stateroom next time we travel.

aemari