3. Magellan
This was my Husband and I's first cruise (apart from River boats in Germany and The Netherlands). We were both slightly apprehensive having read reviews about the Magellan. I'll start with the good points. Embarkation at Tilbury was easy and well managed. On the whole the food was good and there was always plenty of choice at all meal times. The crew in the restaurants and bars were always pleasant, smiling and polite and we had some very interesting conversations with some of the crew about their various home countries and how they had come to be serving as crew on the Magellan. Our Cabin stewards were also very nice and all crew worked extremely hard day and night. I have to commend the cleaning members of the crew, they never stop polishing and cleaning. The shore excursions were well managed and free courtesy buses were at most ports for people who just wanted to do their own thing once ashore. However, as someone has mentioned, it really did have the feel of a floating holiday camp! We quite expected a "hi di hi, good morning campers" to come over the speakers. The Cruise Director was really over the top and always seemed to be shouting and yet the Captain who gave a daily announcement mumbled away and no-one could hear what he was saying. What is laughingly called a bistro is a throw back to a Woolworths restaurant and for some reason people seemed to sit there most of the day in order to get a table. Thankfully we only had to eat in there once for lunch as we'd been out on an excursion and missed lunch in the restaurant. We originally booked a mid ships inside cabin on deck 5 but were upgraded to an outside cabin towards the back of the ship and it was awful! The noise of the engine and some kind of squealing of machinery meant we had no sleep at all. We reported it once and when on night 3 it was even worse my husband again complained at reception in the middle of the night and we were moved to an inner cabin on deck 6 for the night. We were then offered an outside cabin on deck 4 and that was horrible but we put up with it. The engine noise was constant and the shower didn't work properly. I know people pay a lot of money for vibrating beds but all they need to do is sleep in cabin 4120! The Magellan is an old worn out ship, the noise of the engines is ridiculous and the smell of diesel was dreadful. She should be taken out of service.

In search of the Northern Lights