• Cheers to 25 years: Celebrate with Us!
  • Find a Cruise

Peter A Smit
10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Oct 2015
Cabin:

My wife and I recently sailed on a Silver Seas cruise out of Athens to Rome for 7 days. It was to celebrate my wife's 60th birthday. Silver Seas aspires to be in the same class as Seabourn, Regent, Azamara etc. Unfortunately it consistently underperforms. Having had issues on two prior cruises including, botched excursions, no shower hot water, pool closings for maintenance and room noise I had decided to look at different options. The Silver Seas sales agent convinced me to try one more time by making promises of upgrades if available at time of sale etc. She even (with me on the phone) confirmed she was putting it all in my "record". Well, the ship was less than half full. When I asked about the upgrade, you guessed it, not going to happen without my payine over $2,000. They emailed Lina who said essentially "I never said that" This to me is a matter of integrity. So be forewarned, the Silver Seas sales agents will say whatever they need to to make the sale, then all bets are off.

This (final) cruise still had issues. The biggest one was a consistent problem with flies. No matter the location or port, we had to deal with flies, at the pool, in the restaurants and in the room. That suggests there is an infestation on the boat as opposed to whatever locale they are at.

The food was generally "good" but not notable. Our excursion to Pompeii was largely a waste as the tour guides English was very poor so we only got about 50% of what she said. I will say, the room was nice and staff very attentive. On the whole however, really kind of sad. Silver Seas is an "OK" cruise but they claim to be and could be so much more.

Cabin V4

Cabin was small for a "Suite". Very well appointed and kept up. Only real issue were the flies.

Port Reviews

Katakolon (Olympia)

Not a very interesting port.

Malta (Valletta)