Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review

Carnival - Never Again!

Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review by MsSheldonCooper

• Sail Date: Oct 2015
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean

Got a Carnival gift card with some reward points - having never been on a cruise before, decided to give Carnival a try. If I had to describe the cruise in one word, that word would be GHETTO! Most of the passengers looked like escaped convicts and one was even taken off the ship in handcuffs when we arrived back in Miami. To be honest I am surprised it was only one.

Embarkation was a disaster, no one knew what they were doing. We were supposed to get "priority" check in but we had to beg for anyone to help us, they just kept telling us to go sit in this room and that they would call us. How can they call us when they didn't even know we were there? They refused to take our paperwork. As far as the cruise goes, it was rowdy from the get go, people on their lounge chairs dancing in g-strings, half naked, children in the casino, the smell of sewage and marijuana filled the hallways. It was the type of people I went on vacation to get away from. I felt terrible for the crew, they were nice and tried their best.

Now, on to the food. The website is a joke, it makes it seem like all the individual places are their own restaurants - they are not. They are all located in one big food court area where only half of them are open at any given time. We never did get to try the Mongolian Wok, it was either never open or had a line around the ship. How can they operate this way? How can only half (if that) choices in the food court be closed at prime lunch and dinner times?? My husband and I ate at the tiny salad bar 99% of the time because it was the only thing that seemed to be available at all times. The 24 hour pizza is a joke, thin, cheap, tasteless and ALWAYS a wait. There was never any pizza ready, the case sat empty the entire trip. As far as the dining rooms? All we wanted was a quiet corner away from the other passengers and even though it was late and the dining room was empty, they still insisted on crowding us in with all the loud, drunk, cackling idiots we did not want to be around in the first place. They refused to give us a quiet table so we could at least try to enjoy something other than the lame salad bar, but no, we were seated with the others, then looked at each other - and promptly left.

The spa was nice but buyer beware - they try to upsell you expensive "at home treatments" after your service - even massages. I do have to say the employees in the spa were wonderful and very good at what they do - but I am sure corporate forces them to try to upsell product, not nice.

We did not do any of the shore excursions, too expensive. We got a private taxi in Nassau and took a tour of the island, which was fun.

The room we had was nice but beware if you are on V Deck, there is a gym right over your suite and they allow patrons to just drop their free weights on the floor making it sound like our roof was going to collapse. We were not informed of the gym when they called us to "upgrade" our inner stateroom to the balcony jr. suite. They open the gym at 6am and thats when the dropping begins.

All in all husband and I had some nice quality time together but I will never, ever take another Carnival cruise again. Sadly it needs to be expensive to attract better quality people and hopefully get better service.

MsSheldonCooper's Full Rating Summary

Nassau

We didn't take a Carnival shore excursion. We went to the island on our own and took a private taxi tour.

MsSheldonCooper