3. Celebrity Eclipse
This was our first cruise on the eclipse, we have previously travelled with Cunard and P&O. We were looking forward to a new experience. This is an honest view on what we found, taking into account we all have different tastes. We arrived on a sunny day at Southampton and the boarding was excellent, in no time we were sat in the ocean view cafe for our first lunch, what an excellent selection, probably one of the best self service restaurants we have been in. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Tea and coffee as well as fruit juices and lemonade were available all day. Not the case with P&O but Cunard do. Ice creams are also available on deck all day just help yourself. Cabins were ready early. We had a standard balcony cabin on deck 8. The cabin was beautiful and the bathroom large with plenty of storage and a good size shower with sliding doors, so much better than a wet curtain. The cabin was kept clean by our cabin stewards who were again very friendly. Storage in the cabin consisted of a wardrobe with sliding doors and a few drawers and overhead storage above the bed, not so easy to use as the walk in storage on Ventura/Azura. We had second sitting at 8.30, first time for second sitting and found this very good and gave us more time to enjoy the views when leaving port. The waiters were very good however sometimes we found the menus a little fussy and felt P&O had the edge on the desserts, however this is down to personal tastes. A good point they put a bread basket on the table and re-fill instead of the one bread roll. We did have a problem with a couple of meals. The chicken was over cooked and the liver, one piece was fine and yet the other I couldn't cut. Little extras, champagne on boarding and iced towels and water on returning to the ship, very welcoming when temperature 37deg one day. Now the not so good We were so looking forward to the evening entertainment having read the brochure which states high energy productions,full scale musicals ,aerial circuses and more. We were on the ship 13 nights and had just one major west end style production, this was on the second to last evening. The other acts in the main theatre consisted of cabaret acts, a comedian who was so bad people walked out and the entertainment director had to apologise, a juggler who kept dropping his balls, a Beatles tribute act that was not a patch on the group we saw on the Queen Elizabeth. There were a few good acts Jane Curry and Daren Day were very good. Compared to P&O this was very poor. We have experienced 2 major productions including Killer Queen on Arcadia on a 5 night cruise, 4 major shows on a 14 night cruise and 3 on a 7 night cruise as well as tribute bands and other acts so we had a choice of 2 shows each night. We left the ship at Southampton, again very easy, on returning home I realised I had left 2 cardigans and a blouse in the overhead locker above the bed in our cabin. I phoned customer services who said they would check. Nothing had come off the ship with lost property but I was told anything left in the cabin does not get collected until later so she would email the ship. I found out that nothing had been handed in and their policy is to bin items due to health and safety! I was quite disappointed as the items were just folded on the shelf and I would have been quite happy to have paid for their return. I know it was my fault but felt the customer care was lacking. Please also check your on board account we were charged for an item from the mini bar. My husband contacted reception before we left the ship and was told it would be removed, I have just checked my credit card bill and it has not been removed. Drinks are also very expensive especially when an 18% service charge is added. A tip if you are travelling on celebrity, there is no self service laundry and no washing line in the shower, we took a small line with suckers and used it in the shower, very useful for bathers. I hope you are still with me! Overalls we loved the ship, the staff and cleanliness, the weather was beautiful and bay of Biscay calm, however it was spoilt by the lack of good entertainment.

Celebrity eclipse our first experience

Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by Sgdrg