3. Disney Dream
Let me start by saying that I am an avid Disney fanatic. I go to Disneyland, Disney World, or a Disney Cruise once or twice a year for the past 20 years, and it seems that as the years progress, my experience keeps getting worse. October 1st was my first experience on the Disney Dream, and the ship was magnificent and grand. In fact, it was so big that me and my wife decided we would stick with the smaller ships from now on since it took so long to get from one place to the other. The benefit of sailing on a ship this size is that it dispersed the crowds so that you had room to move around. I had a cabin with a veranda, but the room was rather narrow and cramped (it seems that on the Wonder the rooms are wider). When we did spend time on the veranda, there was never anyone outside next to us or above us. Since they did away with smoking verandas I guess there isn't really much need to spend time outside (and I will get to that in a minute). The service from the staff was excellent (as always) but seems to be a little more catered on the smaller ships. Excellent wait staff at the evening dinners, and quite wonderful. The buffet (Cabana's) had a lot of food to choose from, but the quality wasn't as good as on the smaller vessels. The desserts were definitely not as good and not a wide selection (Betty Crocker quality). The live evening shows in the Walt Disney Theater were wonderful (if you haven't seen the same ones over and over again on every ship), and the Buena Vista Theater allowed us to see "Inside Out" and "Antman" which we had not seen in the local theaters. Due to the hurricane conditions in the Bahamas, we were diverted in the opposite direction and instead of docking in Nassau, we spent the day at sea. Why they don't go to another destination instead, I don't know, but after all...we don't choose sailing because we want to actually go some place, we sail because we want to see which direction they go to get there. I personally would have settled on Miami, or even Cuba. But so what if our Nassau cruise didn't actually go to Nassau....who cares. Now, back to the smoking verandas. They don't offer them anymore, I guess because people complain about smoke. I don't know who would complain that much, considering that all of the smoking verandas used to be located together. I had two options in which to smoke. One was on the 4th floor deck (right side of the ship) and the other was on the 12th deck (next to a bar and with no covering overhead). My cabin was on the other side of the ship, and it took about 10 minutes to reach each of these locations. One particular night, I was told by an employee on the 4th floor that I could not go outside on the deck to smoke because of the high wind, upon making my way to the 12th deck bar area, it was raining heavily and I got drenched. Now most of you will probably say, good for you smoker, but I have a response. I know Disney caters to families, and we shouldn't allow children to tolerate the filthy habit of smokers, but come on....is one addiction better than another? The Disney Dream has about 9 bars and restaurants that serve alcohol. They serve alcohol to adults near the children's pools and the dance party on Pirate night is full of children dancing with their parents who have a Bahama Mama in their hand. I am a recovering drinker (2 years) and I find it rather hard to be around those who drink. If Disney wished to limit smoking on their ships due to people who complain, they need to limit their drinking to adults only areas (bars). Moving on....due to the storms letting up, we were able to dock at Castaway Cay (even though all shore excursions were cancelled). It turned out to be a great day for relaxing and looking at the water (very few swimmers due to the wind and high tide). Leaving the ship and going through customs on the last day was a pleasant experience. They have attendants, who for a tip, will gather up your luggage and take you through the whole process. We paid our attendant $20.00 and he managed to have us out of the line and on our bus back to the Disney resorts in 5 minutes. Despite my negativity, I would not sail on any other cruise line but Disney; but then again, because of Disney's policies, I may not ever sail again.

Is one addiction better than another?

Disney Dream Cruise Review by Jerry Hall

• Sail Date: October 2015
  • Destination: Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah

Jerry Hall’s Full Rating Summary
Get Disney Dream price drops

Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah
Cabin 06A 9669
Double bathrooms are remarkable. One having a vanity and toilet, and the other having a tub and shower. Not as much cabin space than in the smaller ships, but we were only there to sleep. Had a hard time trying to figure out how to turn the lights on when we first arrived in the room. None of the light switches worked. After a few minutes, we realized that your room key has to be inserted into a key slot near the bathroom in order for the lights to work. This is a great way to conserve on energy, but did cause some problems. One day, while my wife was blow drying her hair, I left the room and took my key with me, and unknowingly, I left her sitting in the dark.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins