3. Jewel of the Seas
Sailed Pacific coast on Jewel of the seas in October as part of a longer USA trip. Let me start with everything that went right. Jewel is a beautiful ship, medium size and easy to navigate with quirky ship shaped maps on each deck. Lovely centrum with plenty of bars close by so not far to walk to go from one to the other. Other bars are dotted around the ship more aimed at the evening rather than the daytime. Plenty of places to sit although I did notice some wheelchair users struggling with space at times especially in the corridors and around the shops when the watches were out. We found prices in the shops on the expensive side although did pick up a couple of watches at knock down prices and they are still working. Plenty of places to eat onboard pretty much all day if you know where to look.....we ate in the windjammer as we prefer to eat when we want to and it worked for us although, unlike some reviewers on here, we are not fussy eaters. Have to say though that the food could have been warmer at times. Burgers and the hotdogs were lovely though nom nom. We didn't do any excursions as we prefer to do our own thing when in port.....only disappointing day was Santa Barbra where it threw it down so we stuck with the ship. The tendering worked for us and my wife loved the voice of the tendering announcer which I found soooooooo game showy.....the price is right anybody? San Francisco was just magical as we knew it would be......it's a sentimental place for usage completlely lived up to our expectations from the golden gate walk to bubba grumps for food to just wandering around enjoying the view. Sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge and past Alcatraz was a bucket list tick for us and was awesome. Monterey was good had a Andre in the cannery district but Ensenada was simply too hot for us so back to the ship we went to enjoy the air conditioning. Our cabin attendant (Lola) was simply magical, friendly, approachable and always smiling and our cabin was the best we have had on any of our cruises, loved the balcony especially on the day at sea which just allowed us to chill. Disembarking the ship was hassle free and from leaving our meeting point to standing on the dock was about 30 minutes and this included going through customs so all good. Now to the worst. This is my 3rd cruise and first with RCL so I'm not really a hardened cruiser however I have never seen a shambles as bad as the attempts to get us on the ship at Port of Los Angeles on the 3rd of October. Well actually shambles is putting it mildly.mwe arrived at the port at 1100 with our shuttle driver not knowing where we were to be so he dropped us off at berth 92. It was only by bond luck we happened to see a coach with Jewel of the seas written on the front that we were then taken to our ship berth. 2 tents set up next to the ship and we then sat in one for 2 hours before we were allowed to join a line....2 hours later we were on the ship and pushed unceremoniously to our muster station as they were in the middle of the drill. No water, no food and toilets I wouldn't let my dog use really didn't start this cruise off on a good voting for us. What made it worse was the lack of apology from RCL and just a list of excuses from all the computers went down through to the port weren't expecting a shop of this siz to dock at this berth.......well m sorry but when I checked the port of low Angeles web site in July it specifically stated that the ship was going to be at this berth so they all had plenty of time to ensure a smooth transition for all. In 35 degree hat I'm glad I wasn't waiting outside the tent. And our luggage made it to the room before we did...unheard of. Overall from the moment we made it to our cabin and from then on we loved the cruise, the ship and our 7 days on the Jewel.....just a shame about the preceding 4 hours.

Very good for the cruise......embarkation another matter

Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by Paraman15