3. Oasis of the Seas
Boarding: Very quick! The check in process was quick and efficient. We then went upstairs in the cruise terminal and had a short wait before it was our turn to board the ship. Probably less than 10 minutes. This was about Noon. Once onboard we realized that we couldn’t get into our stateroom until 1pm. No big deal. We had our first drinks and ate lunch at the Park Café. Those beef sandwiches really are fantastic!!!!!!!! Stateroom: We were in room 9196 – A balcony room on “the hump”. Upon arrival in our room our first thought was that it was pretty spacious. We would’ve liked it better if the bed was near the balcony door instead of the vanity being near the balcony door – but no big deal. Just the luck of the draw as our neighbor’s room was configured the opposite way. Our room wasn’t 100% clean. There was a ½ eaten banana in our fridge and some feminine products left in a drawer in our bathroom. Not really a big deal though. I know they turn over those rooms really, really quickly. I had brought a travel clock along that also included a thermometer. I sleep best when it is cold. The coolest it ever got in our stateroom was 70 degrees though. No problem – we asked our room attendant, Michael, for a fan and he brought us one within the hour!!! Impressed. Speaking of cold – our fridge never did cool our water bottles much cooler than room temperature. We could not find an adjustment dial so we just dealt with it. Food: The Park Café is almost always packed. The sandwiches, soups and salads are great, but there were 2 times we tried to eat lunch there but there were no empty tables inside or outside. We ate 2 breakfasts and 1 dinner in the Windjammer and all 3 times were awful experiences. The amount of people inside the Windjammer was very overwhelming and the food was very underwhelming. I would suggest staying clear of this place unless you are desperate! Chops – We ate there the first night and got a 25% discount. The steak was excellent!!!! And we both loved the jumbo shrimp cocktail. I would suggest eating there at least once on your trip. Giovanni’s Table – We ate there for dinner one night and it was fantastic! Here’s a tip – One of their dinner options is a Filet Mignon – my husband got this and said it was the same as the Filet he had at Chops. Chops is $35 per person and Giovanni’s is only $25 per person! So if you have a steak person with, then opt for Giovanni’s if the rest of your party wanted Italian. We had “My Time Dining” and actually really enjoyed that. We got the same seating section in the main dining room and the same waiter every night. Our server was Euclid from the Philippines and he was exceptional!!! I cannot say enough good things about him. He was efficient, excited, personable and fun! What an asset to Royal Caribbean! More about My Time Dining. We had booked all of our dinner times months before we boarded the ship. We never waited more than a minute or two for our table at our reservation times. There were a few nights that we wanted to go to dinner earlier or later than we originally planned and all we had to do was call the dining room and they made it happen. I would definitely pick My Time Dining again. The food in the main dining room was hit or miss. We didn’t eat anything there that really “wowed” us at all. One night I had the lasagna and found it to be truly awful. Thursday night was “Lobster Night”. My husband and I both had the lobster tail and prime rib. It was “ok”. It seems like RCL should invest more into their main dining room menus. How can the food quality be so different from the specialty restaurants? Seems like they make the food in the main dining room less quality in an effort to get people to go to the specialty places where they charge the additional fee. Not cool Royal Caribbean! Another tip – Eat breakfast at Johnny Rockets! It is “free” and made to order!!! They have French toast, pancakes, breakfast sandwiches, omelets, made to order eggs and great coffee! We ate almost every breakfast there. Sorrento’s pizza is available almost constantly. I found it to be a pretty delicious snack especially after a few drinks – My husband thought it was the worst pizza he’d ever tried. We agreed to disagree on this one. We also enjoyed a few hot dogs at The Dog House. Great afternoon snack and usually with no line. The Pools: This is where I feel you really notice the 6,000 other passengers. Unless you were up really early, it was almost impossible to find a chair in the shade at the main pools. There were signs everywhere that said that pool attendants would remove people’s things if their chairs were vacant for more than 30 minutes. We watched for this and in 7 days we did not see this happen one time! Very frustrating! While in the main pools we felt like we were basically packed into the pools like sardines in a can. You could barely turn around without touching someone else in the pool. The Solarium area was nice but with the air temp of 90+ degrees sometimes, this glass enclosed area became a sauna!!! But it was easier to get a pool chair here (although not many in the shade) and the adult only pool in the Solarium had much cooler water than the main pools. The Solarium Bar is actually upstairs from the pool area. This is also not ideal. Another one of our favorite crew members worked in the Solarium Bar – His name is Wesley and he was awesome! He always greeted my husband by name and was very quick, friendly and efficient! The Elevators: There were times you waited a few minutes but then there were also times there was no wait at all. I guess with 6,000 passengers I expected worse. The Shows: We booked all of our shows months before we boarded also. Here’s a tip - If you have a reservation – plan to get to the show at least a ½ before it is scheduled to start so that you can get you pick of seat locations. The Water Show – Oasis of Dreams – Very entertaining and in a beautiful open air venue at the back of this ship. The breeze that night was refreshing. See it! Rated 4/5 The Ice Show – Frozen in Time – Worth seeing. The show is based on some Hans Christian Anderson stories like the “Ugly Duckling”. Rated 3/5 Come Fly Away – SUPER EXCELLENT! This show was in the main Opal Theater and was Very entertaining and with great effects and music, this was our favorite show. Rated 5/5. Cats – We didn’t see it. We heard from numerous other passengers that it was too long and that many left ½ way through the show. The Headliner Show – I can’t remember the man’s name but he was great. He sang Motown Hits plus other things. He was the only “Headliner” and did the same show all week. The Piano Man at the Schooner Bar was our ABSOLUTE favorite. His name is Peter Ritz and he is phenomenal! He played almost nightly at the Schooner Bar and takes requests! He played and knew almost every song that was asked of him. One night he played my husband and my “wedding song” (It was our 15th Anniversary) and we danced. It was very special. So GO SEE PETER RITZ!!!! You will not be disappointed. The Dazzles club had a group called Muzik Express that played nightly – They were truly awful! The Ship Itself: She is huge! We enjoyed the different neighborhoods but found the “Central Park” area to be extremely warm and had no breeze. I would imagine those balcony suites would not have any breeze either. But it was neat watching birds fly in and out of the trees! The Boardwalk neighborhood was basically the carousel (which only ran at certain times of the day), the Hot Dog Stand, a candy store (that we never saw even open), Sabor, a bar, Ben & Jerry’s and Johnny Rockets. Not really much to do there. We did find it odd that Deck 16 was the only open air deck on the ship accessible to all of the passengers. Deck 15 had the pools but had windows all the way around. Deck 17 was open air also but was for suite members only. This was disappointing since we very rarely even saw any people on this deck. So Deck 16 is the only one with open air and a railing but then ½ the deck has the “smoking section” GROSS! So basically only ½ of deck 16 was open for us to enjoy. I would prefer more open air decks and LESS SMOKING! Speaking of smoking - there were several times we had to leave our balcony because neighbors were smoking. Ugh. It was hard to tell exactly where the smoke was coming from so it was impossible to accurately report it to the crew. We also saw people smoking on their Boardwalk balconies. Other than that, we were very impressed at how clean the ship was in the common areas. We never really saw people cleaning but it was always spic and span. Drinks and Drink Packages: We opted not to get any drink package and to pay “ala carte”. It would’ve cost close to $800 for the two of use to have the Premium Package for the week. After we got back home I “tallied up” our bar tab and we paid $550 in drinks between the 2 of us. This included daily beer, wine, fruity drinks, mixed drinks, 1 trip to Starbucks and a few sodas. We carried 12 bottles of water on the ship and that lasted us the whole week. Unless you really plan to party hard, I would suggest not getting the drink package. We drank at a reasonable rate and were “tipsy” more than a few times for our $550. A suggestion might be to try 1-2 days without the drink package. If you find that you are drinking more than $60-$70 per person/per day you can always add the drink package on later in your trip. FYI: Additional tips are optional, but we found that even giving your bartender $1 extra made a difference. The next time you would visit that bar your drink would be stronger and come faster. Itinerary: We found Labadee to be just “ok”. We opted to just sit on the beach and picked Columbus Cove. We had gone immediately to the Excursion Desk when we boarded the ship to try to get a Cabana on the island. We were told they were $300 and offered to suite guests first. At that price we passed on the Cabana (even though they really were sold out prior to boarding.) We got free beach chairs on Labadee and got their early to make sure we got a spot under some trees. The water was slightly murky. Not the clear turquoise water that you see in other places in the Caribbean. The sand though was white and fine. There were jellyfish in the water and a guest did get stung. They seemed to move out of the area once more people started swimming. The Labadoozee drink is $12 but it was delicious! We ate at the free Royal Caribbean BBQ buffet. It was just “ok”. Behind the pavilion that covered the buffet was a large wall with barbed wire along the top. Seemed sad. Haiti really is a poor country. We imagined throwing all the food over but didn’t imagine that would be allowed. Falmouth was nice. The shopping right outside the ship was great. We opted to go on the Red Stripe Beach excursion. The beach was clean and the staff was excellent. We had a very relaxing time there and got to finally enjoy some pristine turquoise Caribbean water! Well worth the $29 per person! Cozumel was also a great stop. The shopping area right outside the ship was large and the Mexican merchants loved to haggle! We opted to take a Taxi (they are all lined up) to Paradise Beach. The taxi was $15 for the two of use each way. Paradise Beach was fantastic! $3 per person to enter, which got you a beach or pool chair. You were asked to purchase $10 worth of food or beverage per person. We enjoyed THE BEST tacos we’ve ever had here. The pool was giant and cool. The beach was large with lots of shade. Great day! Disembarkment: The whole process ran about an hour behind schedule due to some troubles with customs. Ugh. It seemed like we waited forever in the Opal Theater waiting for our turn to leave. All in all we really had a great time. We would probably not pick to go on Oasis again just because we felt like there were too many people and not enough open deck space. The food could use improvement but then again the entertainment was great.

Average

Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by fencelover

fencelover’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas price drops

Stateroom: We were in room 9196 – A balcony room on “the hump”. Upon arrival in our room our first thought was that it was pretty spacious. Our balcony was large. We would’ve liked it better if the bed was near the balcony door instead of the vanity being near the balcony door – but no big deal. Just the luck of the draw as our neighbor’s room was configured the opposite way.
  Oasis of the Seas Deck Plans