3. Jewel of the Seas
This was my first cruise on RCL and only my second cruise overall so I'm fairly new to cruising. As previous reviewers stated, the embarkation situation was a bit of a nightmare. I booked transfers through RCL from the airport to the port and waited 3 hours at the airport before a bus arrived. Then it was another 2 hour wait inside the tents to check-in. My friend and I decided to just wait it out until the line shortened so we sat in a shady, breezy spot. We were one of the last ones on the ship and boarded during the muster drill. We were told to go straight to our muster station. We were hot and hungry but just glad to be on the ship. At least our stateroom was ready! I've worked in airline operations so I understand that sometimes things go wrong so we weren't too critical of the situation but we heard plenty of complaints from the other passengers the whole week. Inside Stateroom: My first cruise was on HAL which all bathrooms have a bathtub so this smaller sized one on Jewel made me laugh out loud when I first opened the door but it was definitely adequate and always clean. Plenty of space for my friend and I and the beds are soooo comfortable with nice linens. Cruising in a balcony cabin my first time, I was wary about booking an inside but found no problems with it whatsoever as I was only in there to sleep and shower. Being mid-ship on the 3rd deck, I found the location very convenient. Dining: My friend and I did MTD and the first night we showed up right at 5:30 as we hadn't eaten much of anything all day. We had the best wait staff (Elmer and Carolina) so we made reservations the rest of the week so we could be in their station. My friend is gluten-free and they were very accommodating to her needs with always having a plate of GF bread for her and allowing her to see the menu for the next evening so she could make her order beforehand. We looked forward to our dinners every night so we could chat with them. Food overall was very good with most entrees being very tasty and filling and never cold. The chilled soups were excellent and my upgraded order of a filet mignon was cooked perfectly. Great experience at Tides. We also ate at Windjammer and although I don't care much for buffets, I was pleasantly surprised by the variety and the quality of food. Crew were always on hand to help with anything. Activities: I thought the various activities were lots of fun but were a bit lacking on port days with maybe one or two classes offered. Karaoke was so much fun. My friend and I love trivia and played several times but we quickly realized that the same people kept winning each time. We found out that the passengers were on the same cruise the week before and I'm assuming already knew all the answers. This was really disheartening. Near the end of the cruise, trivia wasn't much fun for us anymore. Some blame could be placed on the activities crew for doling out the same questions but I feel that the passengers should have done the considerate thing and let some of the newbies win a few games. The activities crew were fun and engaging though and we enjoyed chatting with them. Ship: Beautiful ship. Everything was very clean and sparkling. Elevators were few but never in a hurry so not a bother for us if we had to wait a couple minutes. Easy to navigate as well. Service: Excellent! I have absolutely no complaints on the service we received during our cruise from our stateroom attendant to guest services. Of course we really bonded with our wait staff and was a little sad on our last night on the ship. Passengers: My friend and I are in our 30's and most of the passengers were of retirement age. This really wasn't an issue but complaints were numerous and of course the bragging of loyalty levels. But we also got to know quite a few people who were so great and became instant friends. Overall, a great cruise and looking forward to cruising RCL again. :)

Tough Start but Overall Excellent Cruise

Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by Charlie'sPet

Overall, a great cruise and looking forward to cruising RCL again. :)
Charlie'sPet’s Full Rating Summary