3. Viking Atla
My main issue with this cruise was that I had called prior to the cruise and specifically asked about the issue regarding water levels in the Danube. I was told that there was no problem with our trip at that time AND that, if there were, we would be notified prior to leaving. This DID NOT HAPPEN. After we boarded the ship, we were told that there MIGHT be an issue on day 3. Well, come to find out that the issue had been happening all summer and, with no rain in the forecast, would continue to happen throughout. I started writing emails ( the wi fi was slower than dial up on the ship) on day 3 of the cruise. None of my emails were answered. I had to wait until I got home to call customer service. The person did apologize and offered me minimal compensation toward a future cruise. I will NEVER cruise with VIKING again unless I go free. This is analogous to the VOLKSWAGON issue to me. I was intentionally mislead and spend half of my vacation on buses. A river cruise with no river is not a river cruise at all. The correct course of action for VIKING, in my opinion, would have been to notify guests in advance via email that there were drought conditions in Europe and that there was a possibility that the trip might be altered. That way, people could have made an informed choice rather than being left feeling tricked. The ship was lovely although the staterooms and bathrooms were microscopic. AND expensive... This was supposed to be 5 star. I travel frequently and this trip was a major dissappointment. The shore excursions were variable. One excursion was included each day and when 180 people from our Viking ship along with another 400 from sister ships descended on a small medieval town it was a cross between a grade school field trip and attack of the geriatric body snatchers. Food was uniformly excellent. Staff worked very very hard but it was difficult to overcome the issues generated by the company.

Beware of VIKING. We had a river cruise with almost no river cruising.

Viking Atla Cruise Review by elissajgreene@gmail.com

• Sail Date: October 2015
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Veranda Stateroom

elissajgreene@gmail.com’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Atla price drops

Veranda Stateroom
Cabin B 303
Cabin was minuscule. I was sharing it with a friend and we could not be in there at the same time unless we were in bed.
Middle Deck Balcony Cabins

• City Tour
    We only had 4 hours in Budapest due to the issues with our cruise. Our guide was very polite. He had definite points of view but would not discuss the current issues with refugees in Hungary. He asked for questions but was short with answers. The city is beautiful. I want to return.
    View All 305 City Tour Reviews
  • Melk Abbey
    Abbey is beautiful. Unfortunately, it took us 4 hours in a bus to get here because of the disruption in our river cruise. The tour was excellent. The church is OVER THE TOP baroque. Didnt have time for the gardens or cafe....
    View All 169 Melk Abbey Reviews
  • Nuremberg
    Drove around in a bus... Looked at some Nazi and German history from a bus. Nuremberg was bombed in WW2. IT was rebuilt to look old. So it was kind of like visiting Disney.
    View All 529 Nuremberg Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Nuremberg Cruise Port Review
  • Walking Tour
    90 minute bus ride from the boat each way as the DANUBE was too low for cruising. Rainy Day. The guide had nothing to say but spent 90 minutes saying it. Then we went to the main event, an organ concert... Oh joy. This was a dead town that is trying to be revived for river tourism. Save your time for Budapest.
    View All 194 Walking Tour Reviews
  • Regensburg
    Shopping in Regensburg was great. The guide was doing a good job until he got to the optional 30 minute Jewish History tour. He started on a rant about Protestantism and neglected to discuss Jewish History.
    View All 523 Regensburg Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Regensburg Cruise Port Review
  • Walking Tour
    Walked through the inner city on a rainy day. Stayed in town for shopping and pastry. Guide was difficult to understand and gave inacurate directions regarding returning to the ship by subway. An adventure.Definitely recommend Mozart cake... YUM
    View All 162 Walking Tour Reviews