3. Queen Elizabeth
We booked this as a joint 50th birthday for myself and my husband, we wanted something special where we didn't have to fly, could relax but also see some sights. From arriving at Southampton to being in our Stateroom (BA Balcony) was around 20 minutes, very impressed with embarkation. The stateroom was what we expected and the decor and cleanliness was too a very high standard. We found the food and service excellent and ate in the Britannia, Lido and The Veranda Restaurants, The Britannia was a different menu every night. We had read all of the small print before hand so we were not shocked at the drinks prices, although they are very expensive and you pay 15% on top as a service charge for every drink. I love wine so it was particularly expensive for us, though the wine selection was excellent and I tried a wide variety of them (I bought on board credit before going as I knew we would be spending quite a lot on drink!!). There was a variety of entertainments but they are definately geared towards the older generation and we did not take part in many, although we did enjoy the classical music concerts and the Male singer was excellent, the library is also of a very high quality. We did find that breakfast could be a bit of a scrum in the mornings as all the singles insisted on having a four seat table to themselves, we shared but others obviously did not like doing this. About 90% of the people on the cruise were couples but only about 5% of the tables are for 2 so be prepared to share or have complimentary room service and avoid the crowds all together. A major problem for me personally was not being able to make a cup of tea in the mornings, I wake very early, my husband doesn't, and I like to make myself a drink at 5 or 6 in the morning, it's not very convenient to have to get dressed and go up 3 desks just to get a cup of tea! The only other issue I had was the launderette, using an iron in your stateroom is not allowed so unless you want to be really creased you have to use the one in the launderette which is rubbish and there is only 1 for the whole deck. There are 3 washer driers for the deck which also wasn't enough as I was surprised how many people actually used them. There are some very selfish people that use 2 of the 3 washing machines at once..Grrrr. We took 4 shore excursions all of which were excellent, Herculaneum, Rome, Vejer and Barcelona. Rome it's self was a nightmare as 25000 other people were in the Vatican at the same time as us, however they are overpriced, but again I knew the price before I booked them so can't complain too much. It did end on some thing of a low point though, the disembarkation was a fiasco, they let 3 decks go at once so everybody ended up queuing for 40 mins to get of the ship, many of them elderly with health problems. There were complaints. Overall this cruise lived up to our expectations, the service was excellent and the ship's interior is beautiful to look at. The cruise itself is very good value for money although the cost of 'extras' is breathtaking. We are booking another cruise with Cunard.

First Time Cruising

Queen Elizabeth Cruise Review by Thane1010

Thane1010’s Full Rating Summary
Get Cunard Queen Elizabeth price drops

• Gaudi Walking Tour
    This was an excellent excursion and the guide obviously had a real passion for Gaudi. The park was beautiful and I have wanted to see the Sangrada Familia for years. The inside is beautiful and I am sorry that I did not take a better camera with me. the tour totalled 4 hours and was very good value.
    View All 49 Gaudi Walking Tour Reviews
  • Herculaneum
    This was an excellent excursion and the guide was very knowledgable. I have wanted to see this site for sometime and the 2 hours we spent there was enough time as it is small. I was worried though as Cunard let someone in a wheelchair book this excursion and it is no way suitable for people with that level of mobility problems
    View All 76 Herculaneum Reviews
  • Sistine Chapel
    We did a new excursion that included the Pope's Summer Residence Gardens, the Vatican Museum and the Sistene Chapel. It was a full day and felt like it. We went on a Wednesday and the Pope had given an address in St Peters Sq that morning so it was particularly busy. I was also told later that 800 coaches from cruise ships had gone to Rome that day. The Vatican and the Sistene Chapel were unbelievably crowded, they do not run on a timed ticket basis and basically let everyone in who has paid, there were places were you could barely move your arms you were so tightly packed in. The Sistene Chapel is meant to be the most holy place as it is the Pope's private chapel but they packed so many people in that is was almost unbearable. I would recommend this excursion but be careful about choosing when you go.
    View All 113 Sistine Chapel Reviews
  • Vejer and Cape Trafalgar
    Vejer is a whitewashed village in the mountains, it is very pretty and has some nice shops, our guide came from the area and was very knowledgeable about it's history. Be warned there are some steep parks and the streets are cobbled which can be lethal when wet. There are no public looks in the centre of town so we had to use the ones in the hotel, we bought 2 muffins and they were the best we have ever had!!! However 1 loo for 20 women.
    View All 13,002 Vejer and Cape Trafalgar Reviews