3. Celebrity Eclipse
Azores and Canaries cruise on Celebrity Eclipse - 13-27 September 2015 Southampton Boat Show certainly had an impact on the Port as we queued to get to the Ibis Budget Hotel in West Quay. After nabbing the last available space on the car park, we collected our keys very quickly, thanks to our online checkin on the day before. We had an 11.30 - 1530 checkin for boarding so we left our hotel at 10.50 am, anticipating some traffic hold ups. We drove onto the Shuttle parking at ABParking and a very helpful and friendly guy helped to take our cases out of the car and load them into their luggage vans. He then was really helpful as we loaded onto the bus, passing up each of my three hand luggage bags to me after I was on board, making life so much easier. We set off immediately to the Departure Check-in and with our Xpress passes duly completed we were taken immediately to a check-in desk and we were whisked through customs and were on board by 11.30. It has to be one of the most efficient and speedy check-in we have had. We had our customary glass of bubbly as we boarded and we made our way up to the Mast Bar with all our hand luggage, having a quick drink before we went up to the Sky Bar to settle a little until the cabins were ready - said to be around 13.30. Plenty of places to relax and a nice surprise when I went to the bar. I was greeted with a warm "hello again Mrs Jean, would you like one of your usual's by jairo. To say I was surprised was an understatement, as I could understand being recognised, but not having our drink preference remembered three months after we were last on board. But this is really quite an example of the excellent service we have come to expect from the Celebrity Staff and Crew. We had an obstructed D2 balcony cabin, 6180 on Deck 6, so we were not quite sure how much obstruction to expect, but it was better than we had anticipated. One of the larger lifeboats stanchion was visible up to the balcony top edge and then there was a gap to the stanchion of one of the smaller lifeboats, so we could actually see the sea between these two boats if we looked down and, of course, there is no obstruction if you look out across the horizon, Once inside the cabin, it is hardly distinguishable from the Concierge cabin we had earlier this year. The bed was close to the balcony and the settee nearest to the bathroom. The wardrobe space is adequate for a two-week cruise even with the formal attire we took, but we were very pleased that we had brought additional hangers because the ones provided were very few and took up a lot of space. We had brought light-weight, non-slip ones which don't take up much space at all. There are five fairly small drawers available so I had brought a couple of collapsible plastic cases which fit very well into the above-the-bed cupboards, but they make for easier access if you are as vertically-challenged as I am. This space also provided storage for bags and other miscellaneous items. The bathroom is spacious and the shower is excellent, being easily operated and powerful enough. There are closing shower doors, so no dreaded shower curtain . There are multiple enclosed shelves for toiletries and the space works very well. Our cabin steward Jefrey kept the cabin spotlessly clean and was on hand to help with anything we needed. We also used our cabin for breakfast, preferring this to the busy Oceanview Buffet in the morning on most days. However, the Buffet has an excellent menu for lunch, with stations serving great variety. We also used the Moonlight Sonata main dining room on occasions for lunch, our choice between these two venues being dictated by our mood at the time. We had pre-booked our evening meal for 7.00 pm all cruise, because this is our preferred time to eat. We also asked for a table for two because my OH does not hear so well when he is in a large group, so a table for two is better for us to enjoy our meal. Towards the end of the cruise we often had Markus and StagPolo waiting on us with Gjorgji as our sommelier. They serve a very nice Pinot Grigio on the Classic Package as well as a very acceptable sparkling wine. I found the food in the MDR usually very good, occasionally absolutely excellent and very occasionally quite good. We did try the Tuscany Grill after we were offered $20 off the normal price during a promotion. We had the most fantastic table, overlooking the wake of the ship as we were each served a beautiful meal, and a Pinot Grigio that was definitely superior to the one in the Main Dining Room. We did not expect dusk to dawn sunshine as we were leaving from Southampton, but we were hoping that Tropical Storm Henri would not affect us too much. Hope was in vain however, as I was woken quite a few times during the night as the ship started to rock and roll. The Captain announced in the morning that the winds were gusting at 45 knots per hour and we had 18 foot waves. This lasted for most of the day and a bank of mist also rolled in at one stage to add to the general greyness of the day. We spent most of the day after our Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle reading and relaxing, although I did join in with Bingo for an hour, prior to getting ready for our first formal evening. The captain and most of his senior officers attended the M&M, and they were very ready to have a chat with the members who attended. Day 2 at sea, on our way down to the Ponta Delgarda in the Azores started with a moderate sea, still very grey, and the captain announced in the morning that he expected both the wind and seas to increase. The waves were about 8-9 feet in the morning, but were expected to increase to 17 feet later in the day. Time for flat shoes methinks! As the afternoon wore on the waves did get higher, and the spray at times obliterated our view out of our cabin on Deck 6. Having said that, we felt the ship coped really well and I felt fine. Our first port of call, Ponta Delgarda, was new to us but we found it reminded us of Lisbon. The open-topped bus here was informative and comfortable. The weather brightened as we travelled south and stayed warm, with a few bouts of drizzling rain while we were in Tenerife. Our other ports were Funchal, Madeira: Santa Cruz, Tenerife: Gran Canaria: Lanzarote: Fueteventura and Lisbon, the busiest being Lisbon with three ships in port. Relaxing on the ship was easy as there are plenty of places to sit, the speciality coffees are delicious and service was excellent without being intrusive. The first Celebrity Eclipse Show, scheduled in the Theatre was postponed due to the sea state, as it included quite a lot of aerial performances, which would have been dangerous as the ship did its 'rock and roll'. It was performed later in the cruise and was spectacular. Instead, Jayne Curry, a comic singer gave an excellent show - her voice range and interaction with the audience was superb. The Beatles Celebration seemed to have been enjoyed by all with many of audience joining in enthusiastically. One of the biggest surprises for me was a guy called Tom Suha, a violinist who made his violin sing - he was amazing! One of my best memories will be an evening in the Sky Bar, when there was an Abba singalong, with booklets of song lyrics available to join in. The Solitaire group who performed all over the ship is also excellent and provided the music for some outstanding evenings. Overall we had a fantastic time on the Celebrity Eclipse, and enjoyed good food and drink and, most significantly, great service!

Looking for some sun on Celebrity Eclipse.

Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by dun123das

• Sail Date: September 2015
  • Destination: Canary Islands
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Veranda (obstructed view)
Azores and Canaries cruise on Celebrity Eclipse - 13-27 September 2015

dun123das’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Eclipse price drops

Deluxe Veranda (obstructed view)
Cabin 2D 6180
This cabin was the same size as the Concierge cabin we had earlier this year, but our balcony was obstructed by half of one of the larger lifeboats and its stanchion, which is as high as the balcony rail and a little of one of the smaller lifeboats, with a space between them where I could look down to th sea. Apparently this cabin has a little better visibility than the one next door because of the gap between lifeboats. Wardrobe space is adequate for 2 weeks, including formal wear. 5 small drawers really encourage you to use the over-bed cupboards for underwear and accessories. Bathroom spacious, excellent storage, shower with doors great.
Continental Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins