3. Norwegian Spirit
We had traveled on the Norwegian Epic on our last cruise, and weren't sure what to expect cruising on the "older" Norwegian Spirit. Much to our surprise, the ship and the staff exceeded our expectations. Upon arrival in Venice, we were exhausted as we flew in from Munich, after a few days at Oktoberfest. We were ready to get to our cabin ad get some much needed sleep. We arrived early at the cruise terminal and had to wait a little while to get on board. The embarkation process went smoothly. Once on board, we decided to forgo sleep and get out and experience Venice. It was very easy to get off the ship and out to experience the town. Unfortunately, we had an issue with one of the three of us traveling in our group, not being listed as having the Ultimate Beverage Package that we had paid for. Unfortunately, we didn't have the paperwork that showed we had paid for it, and the guest services woman indicated she didn't see that it had been paid. However, she said she needed to work with the home office and would get back to us within 24 hours. She wasn't overly friendly, but wasn't rude either. We were hoping this wasn't what the entire cruise was going to be like, but we were hopeful. They were able to resolve the issue the next day and get our account credited for the drinks that had been purchased up until that point. YAY! We had booked a "guarantee" balcony cabin and were pleasantly surprised that we were on deck number 9 in cabin 9580, which was technically a forward room, but it was right at the edge of mid-ship, so we didn't feel a whole lot of motion when the seas were a little rough. We did the Martini tasting on board, which was an additional charge, but a MUST do, as you learn how to make the Martini's and get to taste as you go. The bartender giving the class was very knowledgeable and answered questions along the way. We had our favorite bartender "Lester" at Henry's Pub. He acknowledged us by name each and every time we visited. He was very friendly with ALL travelers on board and always served us with a smile. His knowledge of how to make a cocktail was unsurpassed. We would sit down and ask him to surprise us with a new martini and he never failed to make a great drink. Our room steward "Nevis" was amazing as well. He came through for us when we needed extra hangers for us three ladies sharing a cabin. Also, provided extra wine glasses for the cabin. In addition, our cabin was ALWAYS made up quickly, and turn down service every evening was done without a hitch. We encountered an issue with our cabin after day 8 of our cruise, upon contacting guest services with the issue, I asked to speak to the manager and was told that he was sleeping, as it was 3 am, we were placed in another cabin for the evening until the issue could be resolved the next day. When we returned to the ship after our excursion, I asked again to speak with the manager and was told that he was busy. I asked when he would be available and seemed to get a little push back from the guest services clerk. After pushing to speak with him, I was finally escorted back to his office. When I arrived at the office, he was there along with the hotel supervisor. I expressed my concerns with the issue and also with the "uncomfortable" pull out bed that one of us had to sleep on every night. Not a huge deal, but thought I would let them know as it was very uncomfortable. I was pleasantly surprised when he offered to let us keep the extra cabin in addition to keeping our other cabin too, for the remainder of our cruise. We were extremely pleased as three women in one cabin can be a little cramped. Later that evening, after we returned from dinner, the manager had chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of chilled champagne in an ice bucket delivered to our room. A card was enclosed stating it was compliments of the hotel manager and he hoped that we enjoyed the remainder of our cruise. This was above and beyond... We brought the champagne to the show that evening. :) Every member of the staff on board the ship were nothing short of amazing. From the staff that sprayed your hands with the "washy, washy" comment with huge smiles on their face every waking moment, to the waiters that tended to us while at the pool or bars, to the waiters at the restaurants who always went out of their way to ensure we had a great meal. We were amazed yet again. We visited the spa on the at sea day for a massage and facial. The staff were very knowledgeable and talented, thus worth the dollars spent. The itinerary for the cruise was perfect. We visited phenomenal ports of call and for the most part, we were able to get off the ship quickly, with the exception of Mykonos, where they only had three tender boats to get you into port. It took us almost 2 hours after we docked to get on land. The shows during the evening were great for the most part, especially the magician/commedian and the dancers were very talented and were a joy to watch perform. The show that was performed the two nights before the cruise ended was amazing. At the end, they brought out all of the staff on the ship, introducing each and allowing the cruisers to applaud them. It actually brought a tear to my eye. Again, I have to reiterate that we had previously cruised on the newer "Epic" and wasn't sure what to expect with the older ship. However, I can say that I was pleasantly suprised at how amazing this ship is and the staff made it even better. Bravo Norwegian! I am hooked.

Best Cruise EVER - Amazing Itinerary and Staff on the Norwegian Spirit

Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by faithmatthews

• Sail Date: September 2015
  • Destination: Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Balcony

Bravo Norwegian! I am hooked.
faithmatthews’s Full Rating Summary