3. Regal Princess
I could not really think of a "better" title but since the last review I wrote was about as low and negative as you could get this is almost the exact opposite. The first thing that's worth pointing out if you go out of Red Hook - Be prepared! I live in Central NJ and was dropped off but even trying to get to the door is tough. The porters direct a certain number of cars kind of like when you drop a rental off and then it's a mad scramble to figure out which door to go in. Anyway, this terminal is unlike any other I've been to and rather than being well organized you either go right to get in the line on the right or go left to get in the line on the left. It was my day to pick the wrong one because people who went right strolled onto the ship a good 10 minutes before I finally got up to the counter. Since the terminal is one gigantic room, one problem is the people who are supposed to notice the reps waving their gigantic signs must have bad eyesight. In my line the people who had priority were allowed to go to the counter even if the person waving the sign had tried to get someone in our lines attention. The good thing is that I knew the ship was not going to leave without me and I was able to stand in that line for almost an hour, but there were a number of people who really were struggling. In hindsight this was good practice for the worlds longest conga line AKA - The line that never ends when everybody gets in line to visit customs in the vista lounge but I should not digress into that lovely ditty yet. When I got to the counter I had the "are you sick" form but not the Canadian one. I never saw one and never saw anyone handing them out but luckily she handed me one so I filled it in quickly and a minute later I was finally able to board the ship. Since I wasn't "elite" they made me walk all the way down a hall which was silly because there was nobody in front of me at THAT door and when I came back from the end of the hall I wound up right AT that door again on the other side but I guess rules are rules. I've been on many different sized ships on multiple cruise lines, Regal Princess is tremendous in size. There are plenty of other reviews that touch on the "little" things that would have made her more efficient so I'll leave those out but the best advice I can give you is remember you can't always get there from here. If you dine in Concerto you can't get to it from deck 6 anywhere but the aft stairs and elevators. The cabin was really nice, the balcony was small and the bed was rock hard. They claim to have no egg crate mattress toppers on board. They also give you a down comforter which would be more appropriate if you could get the room really cool. It's a good thing I'm closer to a six hour a night sleeper or I would have been struggling. I miss not getting any towel animals. We had a really fun table (late seating) and looked forward to catching up with our tablemates in the evening. The food was great and so was the service but I miss having a bar steward and sommelier. Moral here is to bring your own drink otherwise you're more likely to get your drink after the appetizers show up. On several nights I really didn't find anything I wanted on the main course section so I opted for their ground sirloin burger. I ordered it medium and it was really tasty. We loved afternoon tea, the food in the buffet was excellent, especially the ham/egg/cheese on a toasted english muffin that they put out right when you walk into the room. They put them in a panini press and the muffin is nice and crispy, just the way I like them to be. As others have said, make sure when you go there, particularly for lunch, that you go all the way to the back and go in the various "rows" so that you can see just how much different foods they offer. I'm still partial to the international cafe for a light lunch, especially since we would do afternoon tea. There's rarely a line for them, mostly because people seem to think that since the premium coffee is sold there that so to are the sandwiches. Their cuban was excellent as was the chicken and avocado. I always ask for them heated. Unfortunately we could not go to Bar Harbor so instead we made our way into Boston for an "overnight". It was actually a great thing this happened because it took close to three hours to get everybody through customs and if they didn't get in until 7AM as previously scheduled a lot of people would have missed their excursions. The one thing that's obvious from that experience is that people don't pay attention and go in line when the paper suggests you do which is probably why all the people who got in line at 3-3:30 spend almost 90 minutes in line while we, who showed up just around the time it said (5ish) spent about 50 minutes. As I said above it would have qualified as the worlds longest conga line as the line went from mid ship to the princess theatre, through those elevator banks and then all the way back down to the vista lounge. Even though those people didn't pay attention to when they should get in line there was no line cutting or bad behavior in line. Princess could have made a fortune if they'd walked around selling those fruity drinks.... but then it would have gotten ugly as it was always challenging trying to find bathrooms. We were able to get a last minute excursion in Boston and had a good time. Sometimes you get lucky and get really great tour guides and once in a while you don't. Our guide was a nice lady but she would start to tell us a story and never finish it so we heard about 20 "tales" that went untold. In St John we did the hop on hop off pink bus and went to the rapids. We walked down all those steps stood and watched the rapids for 10 minutes, went back up the stairs and got in line to get back on the bus. It was a good thing we did that as the next bus that showed up only had room for 12 people as many did the hop on but never hopped off until the bus got back to the port. Since the buses only run every 30 minutes or so there were a lot of rather unhappy people who had to wait as there's not much to do other than watch the water run and after a few minutes it does kind of look the same. In Hallifax we went on a tour that included lunch. We also visited the cemetery where the victims from the titanic are buried. I enjoy tours that include some form of education and I learned a lot on this one for sure! Sadly we could not get to Newport either due to the weather but the crew did a great job putting together a fun filled day of activities that included a small golf obstacle course and a paper plane contest (fly it from 6 down into the piazza through a hoop). It was a shame that we missed classic rock trivia (my favorite that I always seem to miss) but on the first night we won entertainment trivia and received a bottle of champagne that we shared the last night with our table mates. They were about 30 minutes late in calling our color but that's not too bad and we did get a seat in the casino. We met a lot of really fun and interesting people on this trip and I hope someday to run into them again on another sailing. In summary: I give the crew high marks, I enjoyed the improvements in how trivia is done as you don't have to understand the hosts accent, you just need to be able to read the screen. I loved the format for the game shows in princess live and I was glad to be able to watch it on demand in my cabin as they would have them when we were finishing dinner and heading for the later show. Our waiters were professional and the service was actually significantly faster than I'm used to so most of the nights we were out of there in just over an hour. I almost forgot we really loved Fiera and Spectacular and the comedian was very funny. I'm still not sure why I let my mother talk me into sitting up front.... Only negatives: Embarkation and the mattress from hell.

A Much Better Experience Than Last Time on Princess

Regal Princess Cruise Review by Mademypoint

In summary:

Only negatives:

Embarkation and the mattress from hell.
Mademypoint’s Full Rating Summary
Get Regal Princess price drops

Deluxe Balcony
Cabin DF M126
Had the mattress from hell and there wasn't any way of making it less hard.
Lido Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins