• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Deals

Carnival Splendor Review

Editor Rating
5 Awards

Only 6 More Cruises to Diamond; I Might Not Make It.

Review for Carnival Splendor to Canada & New England
Clamshell
10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Oct 2015
Cabin: Interior

The Splendor cruise ranked right down near the bottom of my nearly 40 cruises.

I'll not blame Carnival for the 'rocking and rolling' caused by weather, they have no control over that. The staterooms were kept clean by the overly syrupy-sweet cabin attendant, but that is to be expected.

The food was not good. If they had a Burger King on board, I'd have been happier. The burger I did have on board was crunchy - waaayyyy overdone. The second time I attempted a burger I told the guy "no salad (lettuce/tomato/onion) and just one of his tongs of french fries". I also requested a 'new hamburger' fresh off the grill, not sitting around. He decided to play games. He pulled one french fry, and asked me if that was enough. I told him no, I wanted only one single tong full. He kept me engaged in this game and finally handed me a plate with a few french fries (as requested), but-haha-no burger on a bun with the lettuce/tomato/onion.

Interior

Cabin 4E

Excellent location. Five rooms down to elevators directly to Lido and Casino. Had to go thru the dining room on deck 3 to get to guest services, but that only required pulling open the heavy door.

Port Reviews

New York (Manhattan)

Driving to the port was a nightmare of congestion. On departure we paid to take the shuttle to Newark Airport so I might have a chance of my cousin talking to me after picking us up.

Boston

We didn't have a tour scheduled. We got off the ship and soon figured out we were in an industrial area after hours (we were late getting in). Taxi's weren't too frequent to where we walked to, and only office buildings were in view... no point in going there. Been to Boston before, so no biggie.

Saint John (New Brunswick)

We were able to walk to the shopping center and then stay indoors to go up three floors or flights to other shopping centers. Once reaching the top we sat for a while in a nice little park and then toured the Trinity Episcopalian Church on the way down. "Donut hole" potato doughnuts sounds good but isn't worth the $2.50 to throw half of it away.They are are god-awful thick and heavy.

Halifax

The Atlantic Museum is a must. The riverside boardwalk is not too hard to do.

previous reviewnext review