3. Carnival Sunshine
We selected this cruise for the ports. The only one we had visited was Grand Turk. There were 4 of us-myself, my grandson, my sister and her daughter. If I had to rate this cruise on temperature in ports it would fail greatly but that was something Carnival could not control. I did ask one of our tour guides the best time of the year to visit and he said Dec-March. We drove down on Friday leaving home about 4:30am and reaching the Country Inn and Suites about 3:30. With 3 women in the car we had lots of potty breaks and driver changes. The grandson slept the entire way except for the food stops. The hotel was nice and clean, the room was great, and a great breakfast was served. We drove to the port and parked no problem. There was a long line at the first entrance but we went to the one it said on the boarding pass and were parked in minutes. Check in went smoothly (except for one grouch but we ignored her and kept going. Nothing else was said and were on the ship in minutes. We were on the fifth floor in a handicapped accessible room as my sister is in a wheelchair. My grandson was in a room across the hall by himself due to a glitch at work with his sister who didn't get to come because of work at the last minute. We enjoyed this area with the exception of the strips across the hall. We understand why they were there but some a wheelchair could cross without throwing the rider out and some not. Sis rode through the Shake Spot backwards all the time because of that. We enjoyed the activities we did. We would have enjoyed going into the Liquid Lounge from our floor but it was more like bleacher seating up there. No where for a wheelchair so they all had to be downstairs. Let me say our service was wonderful! Faruk was our room steward and he did a marvelous job. The rooms were always clean and the ice bucket full. Our dining room servers were Dalforinio (Dal), Nyoman, and Melanie. Our drinks were always there waiting for us and extras appeared without asking. Dal always pushed my sister out to the elevators and one night all the way to the room. I will say the one day we ate brunch was a bit of a let down. Our server was a different Nyoman from our nighttime server and his service was bad. He never brought me anything to drink (another waiter finally got me something) and I never got my dessert because he totally disappeared with never a smile or word except "your order". We only did three excursions because very few are wheelchair accessible. In St Maartin our tour director was Dennis the Menace. He was very knowledgeable and very punctual. We did the Butterfly conservatory and he kept us on track to visit the other places so we had time to shop. On St Kitts we did the 10 Best of St Kitts with York. It was very interesting but by the time it was over I was nap ready. We just got off and walked around the port area in San Juan because nothing looked like Sis could do it or sounded very interesting. And it was hot! When we got to Grand Turk we did the Family Beach Break and thoroughly enjoyed it. We didn't get the drivers name but he was loads of fun. Good food, free drinks, free umbrellas, a nice beach. My grandson walked out for a long time before it ever got over his knees but he is over 6 feet tall. They also had water toys out in the water for the kids. Disembarkation was a total mess. As FTTF we were told to be in the Sunset dining room at 8:30am and we were there on time. We were not allowed in because it was full of self assist people so the handicapped had to fill the Atrium with very little space for us to sit. An hour later they finally let us off the ship because it took them so long to unload luggage. My opinion is that they should let handicapped get off and out of the way so everybody else is not held up by the wheelchairs and slow movers. We heard lots of gripes about that while waiting in line to leave. To sum it up we really enjoyed the trip, even the heat. People were very good about holding the elevator doors and getting close so all of us could get on. We even had two couples hold the line so we could go into the Liquid Lounge when they opened the doors. No was impolite that we met only helpful.

How hot can it get?

mamawsnest’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Sunshine price drops

Aft-View Extended Balcony
Cabin 8M 5345
The cabin was large and well equipped for the wheelchair. We loved having the clear wall balcony with the ability for the wheelchair to go out on it without problem.
Deck 7 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Beach
    Very good tour director -never got his name-very helpful with the wheelchair and getting my sister situated on the beach. Beach was good with some rocks in the water, good food, free drinks, free umbrellas. The beach was also a little shallow for a long way out which would be good for little children. Also had good water toys.
  • San Juan
    We took no excursion here because nothing sounded acceptable for wheelchairs. We decided to just walk around the port area and shop-our biggest mistake. Theirwas nowhere to shop except for high priced places we could have visited anywhere. After 3 blocks we turned around and got back on the ship. Very disappointed.
    View All 3,781 San Juan Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's San Juan Cruise Port Review
  • Island tour
    Very enjoyable. York was very informative and helpful with the wheelchair.
    View All 263 Island tour Reviews
  • Butterfly Farm
    Very hot but Dennis was great. He helped with our wheelchair and kept us well-informed of where to go and what to do.
    View All 23 Butterfly Farm Reviews