3. Nieuw Amsterdam
I was led to believe I was going on a 5* ship so was hugely disappointed when I boarded. Our Signature Suite was nothing more than a very large cabin with no proper seating area. In order to watch TV one had to perch on the bed as the giant screen was on the wall above the sofa. It was drab - everything was brown or beige, no flowers or bottle of wine to welcome us as we've had on other lines. It was very informal which may suit some people but not us, we like a bit of formality and do not like being addressed by our first names by the staff. Formal nights need to be abolished. only a very few men wore DJ's, some wore a jacket and tie, the rest very casual, some in jeans and T shirt. The food was pretty awful and the entertainment poor. Daytime activities seemed to revolve around the spa, the computer workshop and the gym or Bridge organised by the passengers themselves. I have taken over 30 cruises usually with P&O or Cunard and I thought it would be nice to try something new. No, I'll stick to my old favourites in future

Underwhelmed

Frequent Cruiser 21’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam price drops

Signature Superior Verandah Suite
Cabin SY 6093
Drab furnishings with awkward seating arrangement. We moved all the chairs around so we could walk past the bed without bumping into something. Nice large bathroom and well furnished large balcony. Not what I'd call a suite.
Rotterdam Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins