3. Jewel of the Seas
It didn't start out well and ended even worse. We waited over 2 hours in line to check in. The staff seemed disorganized. There were 3 lines for check but the line for the Gold members was extremely slow. The ship itself is fine. It's a bit older but still looks great. We attended a couple of the shows and they were just ok. We have sailed on other ships with Royal Caribbean that in my opinion had much better entertainment. I had taken a first time cruiser and was promised a credit on my account of $50. RC told me because I signed her up for a Crown & Anchor account when I booked the cruise that I am no longer eligible for the incentive since it's for 1st time cruisers. What? It was her first cruise. After speaking to them they agreed to give me $25 as a so called thank you for recommending RC to a first time cruiser but I never received that either. When I inquired at Guest Services no one could assist with it. That whole first time cruiser incentive is a joke. RC did not deliver on that incentive. I was one of 9 people in my group. We booked three different rooms. Out of 9 people, 5 people ended up getting sick with flu like symptoms. One was a young child who ended up needing to see the ship Dr. While down in the medical assistance area there were a few other passengers, including a couple of crew members who were sick too. I inquired as to whether there was something going around on the ship but my questions were quickly dismissed by two different employees. The Santa Barbara stop was a mess. It was a very long wait to get off of the ship and a line to get back onto the ship. Once again it seemed as though RC was not organized nor prepared for the stop. The Monterey stop was nice. Things went smoothly. I thought the stop to Ensenada was a poor choice by RC. There were a couple of excursion options but the big push that I heard about was to take the bus to the shopping area. If you've ever shopped in Mexico you know all to well what you hear...it's almost free, how much you wanna pay? chiclet, want your hair braided, a bird whistle or people trying to drag you into their store and charge you $25 for a $5 tshirt etc. The majority of the stores try to rip the tourists off so why does RC stop there? I don't think it's for the passengers benefit. Now here comes the fun.....trying to get off the ship.....that was an absolute disaster. There was apparently an issue with the gangway, then an issue with immigration, then an issue with luggage, a change in berths so we needed to be shuttled to the location where we boarded the ship. However apparently no one was prepared for it. The employees were completely confused and telling people to go to get luggage at the tent where new passengers were waiting to board the ship for the next cruise. When we got there we were turned away and told to go to another tent to get our luggage. By the time we got off the ship and got our luggage it was 3 hours past the time we were supposed to disembark. Our shuttle driver had no idea where he was going and drove around the parking lot twice. He sought direction from 2 different people only to get conflicting information from both. The poor guy was getting yelled at, by at this time, very upset passengers just wanting to get to their cars. Royal Caribbean just wasn't prepared and it was obvious. This was my 6th RC cruise. I know they usually do a better job at serving their customers. Not sure how well I did at convincing the "first time cruiser" that I brought that this isn't the norm for RC. From the time we were supposed to leave the ship to the time we drove out the parking lot 4 hours had passed. The cruise itself was ok but the disorganization and lack of being prepared completely overshadowed the cruise itself.

A Big Disappointment

Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by cruise4fun7

The Monterey stop was nice. Things went smoothly.

cruise4fun7’s Full Rating Summary