3. Legend of the Seas
My husband and I took the Royal Caribbean Legend of the Seas 14 day cruise from Singapore to Freemantle, Perth Western Australia on Sept 13, 2015. When we arrived to Singapore we were assaulted by a heavy blanket of smoky haze. Apparently each year, Sumatra Indonesia illegally burns thousands of acres of their land to make way to plant Palm Trees for palm oil. This illegal slash and burn method causes huge amounts of smoke that cover Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, and Singapore. This illegal act has been going on for years and usually occurs sometime between August and September, but can have lasting affects through October depending on the winds. The people living in that part of the world are well aware of this situation, including personal on Royal Caribbean's Legend of the Seas ocean liner. Yet, Royal Caribbean does NOT share this info with people when they are booking a cruise. This is according to the travel agency I used and Royal Caribbean, themselves. I brought this matter up to Royal Caribbean when I returned home and I was informed by their Corporate Guest Services rep that it was either my responsibility to ask about this issue or for my travel agent to inform me. In addition, she claimed ignorance of this annual event in Indonesia. As for me inquiring about this matter when booking my cruise, I asked exactly how was I to know to inquire about such a matter? I don't normally inquire if a country is burning its countryside on an annual basis. I did contact my travel agent BEFORE contacting Royal Caribbean upon my return home, and my agent stated that they were never informed by Royal Caribbean about the annual Indonesian fires. I advised of this and was then told "well, it's an illegal act, so we cannot advise people of illegal acts." So, in other words you would not tell someone about this practice even though it has been going on routinely for YEARS. REALLY? So, if a war was going on or a coupe, then you would just let people go ashore because none of us specifically asked if there were any wars or squirmishes going on at the port of call(s) we were scheduled to visit? I advised that all I wanted from Royal Caribbean was a refund for the first 7 days of my journey. The smoke covering Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Thailand was awful. My husband and I were both coughing up black soot for days, and we did not escape the horrible smoke till the 8th day of a 14 day cruise. Had Royal Caribbean made it known that these annual illegal fires were a possibility, to either my travel agent or me, then we could have made an informed decision. If the fires would have been set illegally while we were cruising or even before, then it would have been on us for traveling during this time. In my opinion, for Royal Caribbean NOT to share this information freely with people shows that Royal Caribbean purposely hid this information making them grossly negligent in their fiduciary responsibilities to the general public. The response was basically "we have no control over these fires, so will not be getting a refund from Royal Caribbean. This should have been shared with you by your travel agent. This answer is unacceptable to me. My travel agent is NOT the cruise line traveling that route on a regular basis. It is the responsibility of the cruise line to disclose this info. I did call back my travel agent and was informed that since it's an "agricultural matter" they have no responsibility to advise of the situation unless I specifically ask about this issue OR Royal Caribbean shared this information directly with the travel agent company. My travel agent did give me a voucher for $200 that I can use toward the purchase of ANY future cruise over the next 12 months on any cruise line. While this takes out the sting a little, it still does NOT absolve Royal Caribbean for NOT informing people ahead of time of this burning practice by Indonesia. Now that I am aware of this, I researched this issue and info can be found going back to 2009 on Google. It's a well known "practice" that chokes the entire continent for up to 3 months each year depending on weather conditions each year. Had it not been for this horrible smoke that lasted the first 7 days of our cruise I would have rated the cruise a "3.5." The staff was incredible and should get a 5 for world class service. They were kind, personable, courteous, and people all over the ship even made the effort to remember our names. The food quality was lackluster in the dining room, but the buffet food at the Windjammer Cafe was 5 star quality. The music in the Centrium was a bit boring...same music played every night and all the songs played in the same order each night. The main theater shows were hit and miss. Some nights excellent and other nights it was worse than an amateur show quality.

If traveling in August, September, or October don't expect to see much or breathe.

Legend of the Seas Cruise Review by goldtc

goldtc’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Legend of the Seas price drops

The cabin was okay. A little cramped, but you get what you pay for. There was overall adequate room for our belongings.
  Legend of the Seas Deck Plans

• On your own
    We loved Bali, just not the smoke. The bus left us off quite a ways from the beach...it was about a 20 minute walk. It would have been nicer to be let off closer to the shore, especially since it was so hot. I'm not an "old" person, but this was not the best option for people in their 70's or older.
    View All 13,794 On your own Reviews
  • Broome
    Broome doesn't have much to offer....it's an old pearl mining town. Cable beach is gorgeous, but that's it...it's just a beach. Nothing to really do. Did some shopping and sat at the beach.
    View All 32 Broome Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Broome Cruise Port Review
  • Batu Caves
    We booked the Batu Caves Excursion. This was the most sightseeing filled excursion we attended. We saw "everything": Batu Caves, Kuala Lumpur Tower, Merdeka Square, Petronas Twin Towers, Royal Selangor Pewer Factory, Lunch, and Shopping. It felt like we packed in a week of traveling on that one tour.
    View All 18 Batu Caves Reviews
  • Local Shopping
    We had the island hopping tour booked, but the weather didn't look good, so we cancelled. Then the day of the tour many tours were cancelled. We ended up doing a "local" shopping tour...they took us to a mall that I could have found in the USA and then to some crummy section of town for more "store" shopping rather than local artisan shopping. A waste of time and money.
    View All 13,794 Local Shopping Reviews
  • Singapore
    This was our point of embarkation. Singpore is a great city. We arrived the day before and would love to go back when there is NO smoke to explore and really enjoy the city.
    View All 588 Singapore Cruise Port Reviews