MSC Fantasia Cruise Review

MSC Fantasia Cruise Review by cjkitten

• Sail Date: Sep 2015
  • Destination: the Western Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Stateroom

The week as a whole did not start well flew ok from Gatwick arrived Genoa husband collected in wheelchair as we had planned but then things went wrong the wheelchair assistance disappeared as soon as we reached the coach - the coach driver refused to allow my husband to sit on the Coach even though other passengers were already on the Coach and he was left standing for over 20 minutes unable to sit down with the Coach doors locked the MSC rep just ignored the problem. On reaching the ship we were faced with me having to look after my husband as no help was provided and managing 3 suitcases - 2 of which I finally got the handlers to relocate to the delivery cage for delivery to the cabin leaving me with 1 suitcase and still no help. On reaching the escalator a MSC guy said take the lift and he would help to get us on board still no wheelchair so we walked very slowly husband using his sticks and by this time very tired to the embarkation desk and finally getting through all that not a seat to be seen so we had to plod on. Caught by the person selling Tours we queried if my husband could go on the stadium tour in Barcelona and the Harbour tour in Malta and was advised no even though you say the Tours are disabled friendly she could not find one that was suitable- so your advertising as disabled friendly leaves a lot to be desired so we decided we were going to be stuck on board as no other options were suggested. Finally having got to the ship we then were told the cabin would not be ready for a further 90 minutes minimum so we were left feeling very tired having left home at 4am and no means of sitting and relaxing and having a nap. Went to the Piazza and having to buy a soft drink as we were told we could not use the vouchers pre purchased before leaving the UK - finally got to cabin at 3.30pm and then told drill at 5pm it was a no win so husband slept and we had no bags so could not change as the one bag we did have held all his medication. Wheelchair arrived at 5pm and off we went for the drill- shame said wheelchair did not appear when we really needed it as we had requested. Then having had dinner and seen the child size portions came to a rapid conclusion that unless we wanted to starve we would have to find another source of food and resorted to Room Service

That was a seriously bad decision on reflection - the Room Service Team spoke little or no English both of us tried and over the period of the cruise the following was delivered we ordered the following everyday for breakfast English Tea with cold Milk for 2 + Rice Krispies for 2 + Toast with Marmalade and Bread Rolls and Strawberry Jam and Danish Pastries and orange juice for 2 you would have thought this was simple................this some of the combinations received from them below :-

Cereal with no spoons and no milk barely enough for tea. Teabags and Sugar but no cups and spoons this happened twice. Toast cold everyday marmalade finally appeared on Friday after we sent back the order as it was so wrong that day we had no Teabags, no milk, no sugar, no cups, no spoons, no orange juice and tepid hot water. I do not think we had one day except after we sent it back that was right! also overnight we requested Tea with cold milk for 1 and Pepsi Light - Tea arrived with hot milk and no Pepsi, or sugar and spoon.

Rudeness from Guest Services - I was walking towards the lift on level 5 from the Business Centre and passing Reception that was partially roped off - I was outside of this area and was rudely told I could go no further by a crew member holding a clipboard as people were checking in - I pointed out I was outside of the roped off area and wanted to reach the lift - I was rudely told again to go back the other way. This I did but there were no signs anywhere saying passengers could not move through this area. Tried to report this to guest services and the girl did not understand me as her English was non existent so asked for her Manager and was told she would call me back as the incident had happened early in the morning and I was told no one available until after 4pm I felt this was unhelpful so spoke to another person and advised them what had happened. Later that day as no call back had be forthcoming and the one I did get the person was not understanding me.

The mini bar fridge on arrival was sticky inside and I had to clean it - I used Dettol wipes on all the surfaces and they turned grey - the sofa had stains on it. The Pillows were very thin and the duvet had a stain on this was never changed all the time we were there the bed linen was never changed and the towels in the bathroom were left on the floor to force them to be changed instead of being re folded. There was no soap in the bathroom for 2 days and no spare loo roll - I was having to leave notes requesting the minibar to be restocked and soap to be placed in the bathroom as well as the loo rolls! I gave up re the bedding as that was just a brick wall. All in all not a very clean cabin from day one but we gave up trying to get this fixed.

Red Velvet restaurant - waiter service this first night for 3 courses took 2 hours and did not improve much over the week. The open seating night we ordered the following:- 1 Greek Salad; 2 Braised Beef; 1 ice cream and 1 sorbet + 1 Pepsi light and husband for a change wanted 1 Vodka with Sprite. what arrived was 1 Pepsi light; Vodka with Bitter lemon (this got sent back as we had to ask another waiter who spoke English to sort out as the waiter assigned to the table spoke no English) all the food was delivered in one go so on the table we had 1 starter; 2 main courses and 2 desserts so we finished up eating the whole meal back to front and the waiter refused to take away the main courses and desserts until my poor husband had eaten his starter - I had a bread roll. This was reported to the Maitre D but nothing was done. Just advised sorry he does not speak English very well!

Note delivered at one am in the morning following a knock on the door to call Reception Urgently - reason for call and note was to check my husband was ok on his sticks.......one has to ask why not do this between 8am and 6pm WHY 1AM? Having woken us both up we were by this time very fed up with the cruise as a whole!

Saturday night I finally caught up with Guest Service manager Valentina who sent to us earlier in the week some champagne and petit fours that were duly sent back as neither of us liked them and we felt the gesture was wrong as all we wanted was sorry and it will not happen again finally husband accepted a 30 minute massage. She promised us a Priority departure and I made it clear I wanted to go back to the airport by taxi (advised should be 20 euro) with a wheelchair to help husband as it was early in the morning - no problem she said - I should have known better.

Sunday duly arrived sat in Theatre at 7.30am no signs anywhere put up as to where each group should sit - so we sat at the back to be told at 7.50 you have to move to the other side of the Theatre guess what no seating so my husband was left standing as able bodied people had taken all the seats and on asking the crew where the wheelchair that had been requested was just shrug of shoulders and they disappeared other passengers were horrified and also asked the same question but we had no help and no reply. It was total chaos no organisation what so ever, no Priority was given in a fact - a child of two could have done better! We struggled to get off the ship and having to manage 3 bags and a wobbly husband as his medication had not kicked in properly I was seriously angry got in taxi to airport to be told 37 Euros as so early and he dropped us off at the wrong part of the airport! finally got to departures to be told no wheelchairs available and no check in till 11.30 - finally found the MSC rep who tried to help but even she could not track a wheelchair down until after 12 noon. The person pushing the wheelchair would not allow us to use the duty free and abandoned us at the departure gate. On the check in I asked for the upgrade to business class which I was happy to pay for to be told I could not do that and we were allocated row 24 out of 29 rows why place a disabled person at the back of the plane when there were empty seats in Business that I had ask to purchase. (we did travel Business class at my extra cost on the way out) this meant we had to walk the length of the plane! On the flight we were offered just a sandwich with no drink but after the week we had had I just gave up. At least we got help when the plane landed in the UK.

MSC also allow children to run riot in the casino unsupervised by the parents even though the Casino states over 18 only.

Complained to customer services in London while on board and yesterday by phone and email and told it will take 28 days to look into - I would seriously recommend NO ONE should ever cruise with company as they a do nothing attitude when things go wrong.

I had completed all the paperwork they asked for before departure and they still could not get it right! This company is NOT disabled friendly in any shape or form.

cjkitten's Full Rating Summary

Balcony Stateroom

Dirty and unfit for a human to travel in

cjkitten