Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review

Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by KellyJean

• Sail Date: Sep 2015
  • Destination: the Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Large Inside Stateroom

I traveled with my stepdaughter (36) and grandson (14) on this cruise. This was my sixth cruise (4th on Royal Caribbean), my stepdaughter's 4th and my grandson's 2nd. My stepdaughter has previously cruised with Royal Caribbean, Princess and Carnival. My grandson's first cruise was on Carnival. My past Royal Caribbean cruises have been on the Sovereign, Brilliance, and the Monarch of the Seas.

We chose this cruise on the Enchantment because of the proximity of the departure port to Atlanta and we feel that we had obtained an excellent price for 3 passengers for this 4-night cruise.

Traveling from Atlanta, we spent 3 nights in Cocoa Beach prior to our cruise. We very much enjoyed our stay at the Hampton Inn Cocoa Beach. We had a fantastic room on the 7th floor with a great ocean view every morning. The beach was a 5-8 minute walk away. The hotel itself and the rooms were very clean and the staff was great. Breakfast was served every morning and a wide variety of hot and cold items were offered. Although the pool at the Hampton Inn is very nice, guests are also invited to enjoy the pool next door at the Courtyard by Marriott as it is managed by the same property manager. There is also a restaurant in the Courtyard that provides Hampton Inn guests with room service but we did not take advantage of it.

The morning of our cruise, we arrived Cruise Terminal #1 at the port around 9:45. We had to circle the lower level of the parking deck once because it was a little confusing where to drop off our luggage. In the past, we cruised out of terminal 10 where it was crystal clear where to drop off your luggage. Once we dropped off our luggage with one of the porters, my grandson and I went and got in line to enter the terminal while my daughter parked the car. There were a few benches outside of the terminal doors which were all occupied by elderly folks so we went and stood in line at the doors. There were only about 5-6 people in line. It was probably close to 10:30 when security allowed us into the terminal.

Once in the terminal, you have to show your travel documents to security before proceeding to the screening area. This entire process is quick and easy provided you have your travel documents handy and don't experience any "glitches" going through the screening. After screening, passengers head up the escalators to check in. The waiting area is HUGE and there were plenty of stations to check passengers in (I want to say I counted 60?). We waited in the chairs near the check in area for Crown & Anchor Gold members until the check in process began which was maybe a 10-minute wait. There was a separate check-in area at the far end for higher level C & A members as well as suite passengers. Once again the check-in process was quick and easy as long as you had your travel documents ready. The agent took your security photo, gave us our SeaPass cards, explained where lunch would be served once onboard and directed us as to where to wait until boarding began. While we were waiting to board, there was tea and lemonade available for free and there was also a cart set up where an attendant was selling water, sodas, candy and snacks. Bottled water was $1.25.

Boarding began with the highest level of C & A membership and suite passengers. Suite passengers and C & A members were boarded first in order of membership status from highest to lowest. Non-C & A members were boarded by group numbers afterwards.

Staterooms would not be available until 1:30 so we headed upstairs to seek out some food. I had heard that the Park Cafe was usually not crowded on boarding day so we headed up there for lunch but it was closed so off to the Windjammer we went. Surprisingly, the Windjammer was not very crowded yet so we had no problem finding a table. As usual, the Windjammer offered a wide variety of foods. The Indian food selections were served in an area away from everything else which is something I had not experienced before.

After lunch, we sought out a spot to wait until staterooms were ready. We wanted to wait and drop off our carry-ons before we explored the ship. We found a couple of chairs in the Centrum and enjoyed a couple of Mai Tais and "people watched" for a while. As soon as staterooms were available, we dropped off our carry-ons and set off to explore the ship starting on the highest deck and working our way down.

We made sure to check out the teen area with my grandson. This area seemed very nice - couches and chairs for the kids to gather and chat as well as a nice dance floor area. We were surprised at how small the arcade was not that my grandson spent a lot of time there.

I was really impressed by the Solarium. This is kind of an adults only pool area but the signage indicated it was for persons 16 years of age and older (I thought it was 18 and older).

I enjoyed being able to watch movies on the big screen in the main pool area. Movies shown the week of our cruise were Pitch Perfect 2, Inside Out, Grease, San Andreas and Terminator: Genesis. We watched San Andreas and Inside Out poolside. Some movies were shown indoors in the Orpheum Theater.

As always, I have no complaints about the service we received onboard. Everyone was very pleasant the entire cruise. We loved our stateroom attendant, Simplicio. I appreciated the fact that he kinda looked out for my grandson during the cruise. He memorized our names first off and always greeted us when he saw us in the hallways. Our stateroom was always clean and any needs we had were taken care of ASAP.

We had requested a table for 4 at 8 PM for dinner. We felt very awkward when we were seated at a table for 8! This was a disappointment and was extremely awkward because we were the only people sitting at the table all week when there were always smaller open tables for 4 nearby. I realize that not everyone goes to the Main Dining Room for dinner and assumed some tables had to be left open for My Time Dining. However, it was hard for us to talk seated so far apart. We were going to talk to the Maitre'd but decided to leave it alone.

Food and service in the main dining room was always wonderful. We loved our server, Marianne from the Philippines. I think the best dish we had all week was the lamb shank. The meat was fall off the bone tender.

Our first port of call was Coco Cay. I love going to Coco Cay and how you can do everything or do absolutely nothing! On past trips, I have always been content to pull a beach chair down to the waters edge and lounge all day. On this trip, I decided to step outside of my comfort zone and booked the parasailing and waverunner excursions for myself while my daughter and grandson opted to hang out on the beach. My parasailing excursion was at 10 AM so I took one of the first tenders over to the island. Much to my surprise, there were no lines or crowds waiting for tenders. I went through security and straight onto the tender.

Both the parasailing and waverunner excursions were totally incredible. I had never had either experience but had a the best time. Take off and landing for the parasailing was smooth and the views from the air were just incredible. There were only five of us on the parasailing excursion. I was fortunate enough to be able to fly solo.

The waverunner excursion is a follow-the-leader type tour. After a safety video, a guide teaches you about how to handle the waverunner as well as gives you additional safety information. The guide assigns you a spot in line on the tour based on your experience and comfort with the equipment. I was at the end of the line - #9 out of 10. After that, we were led down to the dock for another quick briefing and then we headed out on our tour. The tour guide stopped us periodically to let everyone catch up, made sure everyone was okay and would talk about the area. He made sure that we got maximum time on the waverunners. This was my first time on a waverunner and it won't be my last! I was so nervous at first but about halfway on the outbound portion of the trip I started to relax and really enjoy the experience. The tour takes you out and around to the west side of the island and back.

By the way, on the west side of the island, there is a lot of beach area that is secluded. There are beach chairs out there but nobody goes down there. So if you want some extra privacy when on Coco Cay, head down there.

When we were in Nassau, it was hot and muggy. We walked down to the straw market and around town a little before I headed back to the ship. I wasn't feeling too well. Everyone else ended up walking down to the Queen's Staircase before coming back to the ship. My daughter and I had been to Nassau many times and could have lived without it. She wanted to show her son around more as on his first cruise he didn't get to see much of Nassau.

The night we were in Nassau, there was a sail away party and food served poolside late that night. I sat up in the Viking Crown Lounge and watched the party take place and watched us sail away. There were only 3-4 other people up there and it was very peaceful and relaxing.

It rained most of the day during our day at sea but that didn't stop people from enjoying the pool or from watching movies poolside.

We did not attend any of the shows on the cruise (for some unknown reason). We enjoyed all of music venues on the ship except for the piano player in the Centrum. To me, he was kind of boring.

Disembarkation was uneventful. We were among the last to get off the ship so finding our luggage was not a problem. When we sailed out of terminal 10, passengers retrieve their luggage from conveyors like at airports. At terminal 1, luggage is placed in a huge warehouse type setting my group number (your disembarkation #). I hadn't seen this since my very first cruise in the early 90's. Porters were readily available to help us with our bags and even loaded our car for us (which was a challenge but he utilized the space well). Customs was a breeze as well.

KellyJean's Full Rating Summary

Large Inside Stateroom
Cabin K 8577

Our cabin was one of the larger inside staterooms and was set up for 3 passengers - two twin beds and a pullman berth. The layout kind of surprised us. Inside staterooms I have stayed in on past cruises ran perpendicular to the hallway. This stateroom ran parallel to the hallway so we were a little surprised when we opened the door and the opposite wall was just a few feet away instead of like 10 -12 ft. away. The ship's deck plans do show this cabin parallel to the hallway but I didn't think anything about it when I booked it. It really was no big deal. Being an inside stateroom, it was very dark with the lights out. We left the bathroom light on most of the time with the bathroom door closed. It provided just enough light at night.

The bathroom was small of course but that was to be expected. The shower stall had sliding doors instead of a shower curtain which was nice. The shower stall was circular so when you close the doors it makes you want to say "Beam me up Scotty". There was plenty of storage space beneath the sink and behind one of the mirrors. There were also four hooks on the back of the bathroom door. The light for the bathroom was located OUTSIDE the bathroom. That was hard to get used to.

The lower beds were very comfortable. Each bed came with 2 pillows which were kind of on the thin side for us so we asked for extra pillows which our stateroom attendant (Simplicio) brought without question.

The desk/vanity area is located across from the bathroom. There was plenty of drawer and cabinet space here. There was a flatscreen TV attached to this area which would swing out and swivel around to face the beds. There were 2 electrical outlets here as well which would be the only outlets in the stateroom besides a "shavers only" outlet in the bathroom. The safe was located in one of the cabinets just above the TV. You program your own 4-digit code for the safe as opposed to using your room key. The safe provided ample room for our Nooks, wallets and travel documents but would not be large enough to accommodate a laptop computer. An armchair was located between the vanity and the foot of one of the beds. Each bed had a small nightstand next to it, each with a drawer and open storage space below.

Along the far wall between the bathroom and vanity area was the closet. There was plenty of storage space here as well as 4-5 shelves along one end of the closet.

There was plenty of room under the beds for suitcase storage as well.

Port Canaveral (Orlando)

There is an area at the port called "The Cove" where several restaurants are located and is a great spot to watch the cruise ships come and go. We had dinner one night at Fishlips which I highly recommend.

Parasailing

A wonderful experience with incredible views of the Berry Islands

View All 20 Parasailing Reviews
Wave Jet

This is a follow-the-leader type tour that takes you around the island of Coco Cay. This is a fun excursion regardless of experience.

Nassau

I rated this port as average because I have been here 5 times now. If this is your first time to Nassau, I would highly recommend a guided tour of the area booked through the ship's shore excursion desk.

KellyJean