3. Legend of the Seas
Only 5th Cruise by no means professional cruisers or critics so bear with us. We just needed to get away and saw this cruise from Singapore and booked it 10 days prior. Thought it nice weather up there. Though we'd been and done all itinerary ports such as Port Klang, Langkawi, Phuket, Bali, Lombok, Broome, Geraldton previously we went anyway. I always read reviews and ships details and learn about what people say before we go so I'm prepared. We prefer less of the unforeseen. Some reviewers are not good and I have learned to see through them thank heavens or we wouldn't do anything. I just take what I like from these and are prepared for non perfect and are usually plesantly surprised as I was with this cruise. Cruising is more weather hampered than land travel usually. This cruise had its share with Indonesian fires causing a blanket of smoke. Tidal issues hampered Phuket and rough weather made us just bypass Geraldton. We had a fabulous no work, cleaning cooking shopping time and my husband took me out every night for a surprise show and al a carte dinner. Who gets that at home. We never check whats on. We just go and find ourselves wondering what we are going to be entertained with that night. The ship is not new but also is not old either about 2000 pax and 700 crew. Not big not small. Just right. It is very clean and well kept. We chose the cheaper option of guaranteed seaview room rather than pick our own. Budget issue. This of course meant we could have got a room under the dinning, walkway etc. We could have picked but we have to pay extra just like extras when travelling on the cheaper airlines. Our room was a good size with plenty of hanging space and cupboards. Bathroom was also a good size but it still had the shower curtain. Last ship had a glass screen. It had a large ocean view window and was on deck 3 just under the promenade deck. Early walkers sometimes so earplugs would be a good idea if they bother you. We had some noise from something that obviously came adrift one night and security were there in 5 mins to fix. Just call them. The food! We have found on all our cruises as with this one all plentiful and toooo toooo good. Sometimes the Windjammer was a bit full at peak times. We just went away and came back later or ate somewhere else. Never used the extra dinning options such as Izumi or Chops or Captains Table but a couple on our dinning table did and said it was all great. We even had crayfish one night and though I wouldn't say expect it. This crayfish was very very good. Seafood we know and this was good. Drinks due to the Aussie $ exchange rate were this time to us horrendous. Probably our only little gripe. We just drank less and had very little hangovers this trip. The quality of entertainment was superb. The ship production shows were truly excellent and very professional. In fact all forms of entertainment staff on this ship were amazing, always smiling and happy. The vessel provided 5 enrichment seminars on this cruise which related to where we were going along with all the norm and more. We really enjoyed them. We are in our 60's and this would have been a definite average age on board. Being a smaller ship it had less of the bells and whistles for the young. We don't do ice skating or surfing so it wasn't a loss. I try to tell people to read details so you are not disappointed. People complained about everything as usual. No passenger laundries, no coffee in rooms only tea. No bathroom condiments. We were just pleased all rooms had kettles as previous reviews said they didn't. I must admit for us to get them to do laundry is expensive exchange rate again. We just packed heaps and brought the washing home. They had plenty of hangers but I did take a few more plastic. I took a jar of coffee and asked for extra milk. We also took the usual allowed two bottles of wine only on embarkation and as no fridges in rooms we got a bucket of ice in our room for a few days. If you like cold water in your room this is a good option also. Nothing was ever too much trouble for our stateroom attendant. Ports, we have been before and only got off in Bali and Lombok for a few beachside massages & Bin Tangs "Beers". Royal Caribbean are seemingly very big on safety to their merit so tendering is not a hurried process and getting a lot of not very agile people on and off tenders is a slow process For tender ports this lessens time for most ashore. I heard comments like they don't go to a berth because they are cost cutting. How ridiculous is that. The likes of Bali and Phuket Lombok just do not have any safe passenger ship berths. Tendering is a pain in the neck for ships and costly exercise organising extra tenders and people needed. The ship was actually shuddering a bit for a while one night and some moron thought it should have slowed down with the weather. Seriously! We just shake our heads. Do they think a ship will move fast in non perfect conditions unless necessary. All embarkation and disembarkation processes on board were organised well and sorted as best they could for what they had to work with at the time and to alleviate ques. Disembarkation in Fremantle was so easy and quick. No other ships in port of course. Cold water and ice towels were handed out on arrival at docks. As is usual whenever you have a large group of people you may have some wait. Embarkation in Singapore was at the older Ferry Terminal and was a bit messy and confusing for us first timers there on arrival. Its the location more than anything. We just ask. One of the Princess Ships was also loading at the same time. They did have biscuits water and juice available.

Last Minute Relax

janlodge03’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Legend of the Seas price drops

Large Ocean View Stateroom
Cabin F 3500
I liked the location as it was not too far above the waterline. Not so rough as higher cabins The cabin in the most forward on this deck and the most quiet and private as no interior rooms opposite. Being under the promenade if the weather was better it would be used a lot. Though the theater is next door and above it was no issue at all.
Deck 3 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins

• Bali
    This Poor rating is not to do with ship more Bali itself. Quite obviously we are still paying the Visa of $50 AUD. A great deal when they can't even provide a safe Cruise Berth and we are still tendering in there. Very time consuming exercise. Also the larger vessel Diamond Princess bagged the best passenger unloading area. Not only that when we got off the Tenders in Benoa Harbour the first thing anyone saw of Bali supposedly "Beautiful Bali" was a floating rubbish tip. Truly terrible. For those going under their own steam as we did there are rates for transfers in terminal if you don't like bartering. We just took transfer to Sanur 15 mins away. Got the driver to drop us at outside telling machine and then at beach. Walked along footpath had beachside massage and bintangs and enjoyed. Kuta can be a big hike and if you don't like shopping don't bother. Get a bluebird taxi back or organise your driver for a time.
    View All 109 Bali Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Bali Cruise Port Review
  • Langkawi
    We just got off ship ourselves as we have been to Langkawi a couple of times a few years ago. The port and berth is good. Its not one of those horrible a long way out container terminal. Don't be afraid of going outside gates and organising your only boat or tour with locals or drivers. Always barter. Get them down. They only take what they are happy with. Don't be afraid of asking others obviously doing the same to share. Thats what they want. If you don't ask you don't get. Its not a big island so don't be worried about not getting back to ship unless of course you get off late. I would always suggest on doing anything yourself you check that the driver speaks good english and be aware of the exchange rate before you barter.
    View All 88 Langkawi Cruise Port Reviews