3. Island Princess
I have just returned from a pleasant cruise aboard Island Princess, Aug 2-14. The voyage was excellent, but exhausting what with visits ashore on 9 days. On the whole the staff was accommodating and cheerful. Special mention should be made about the outstanding service and friendliness of Nino and Boris (DR and Horizon), cabin steward Vilnus, and art consultant Annemarie, cruise director Richard Joseph, Frank on reception, and Peter Croyle. While the ports of call were excellent, and the cruise very good, the ship did not measure up to the standards of previous Princess cruises. A certain deterioration was noted in various aspects of the voyage. Service - 1. On previous cruises we were met at the gangway after a day of sightseeing with cold towels and water. This did not happen on four days. 2. We were presented with free drink coupons after the Captain's reception. Nevertheless we were charged for the drinks. After a hassle, on the final day of the cruise, the charges were reversed. 3. It was raining when we returned to the ship after a day in Rome. The heavy rain caused us to take a taxi back to the ship. As we approached the gangway a tour bus cut us off and went under the canopy. A large number of staff raced to cover the bus passengers with umbrellas. We were out in the open and got drenched while going to the gangway. There were still staff standing around the bus...why were we not treated the same as the bus passengers? Isn't our money good enough? I spoke to a “figure of authority” later and he assured me he would look into it and get back to me. I'm still waiting. 4. In the Horizon lounge I requested chocolate milk and was told it was a bar item and I would be charged for it. Next day same request, but I received the milk. Two days later, told there would be a charge. Consistency? 5. Destinations services lots of misleading information, eg told at Toulon that there was a ferry and it would cost $20 charged to shipboard account. Told the local ferry service, although cost only two euros, was unreliable, and a 15-minute walk away along a treacherous path along the coast. Later other passengers told me it was a five minute walk, the path was easy, and the price lower, and the ferry reliable. I feel I should receive a ship board credit for the $40 on my next cruise (September 8 on Ocean Princess). 6. Advertized Star Gazing at midships. Turned out to be at stern and missed first session. 7. Destination services only knew about tours and little else in ports. Maybe they should be schooled in features of different ports. Peter Croyle was only available at 5:30 to 7;30...DR time, and the lines were quite long. 8. Canada and USA four sheets of news have been cut out. 9 Why not publish in Patter daily conversion rates...like US and Canadian $ to Turkish Lira, etc. 10. Why can't room service phone to say server on way instead of just showing up at door? 11. Some days when we returned to the ship in the late afternoon there seemed to be a skeleton staff in Horizon and it was difficult to get service, 12 Princess head office informed me of several docking locations. Several of these were wrong as the ship docked elsewhere. Made a bit of a mess to some of my plans. 13. Safe didn't function properly and needed two service calls to repair it, but we were afraid to use it. Food - Bananas at breakfast for the most part badly bruised (inside), brown and quite unappetizing. This was true virtually every day at breakfast, although a couple of times I got good banana, but never on first try. No juice/lemonade in DR unless I wanted to pay. Solved the problem by going up to Horizon and bringing a glass downstairs. Ice cream not available in Horizon. Had to go to kiosk to get it and then only three flavours. If memory serves one used to be able to get this in Horizon dessert bar. Fish for the most part dried out and poorly cooked in both Horizon and DR. They said it was pan fried. News to me. The salmon which was available daily was the exception and very good. Horizon food not as good as it used to be. Couldn't finish a couple of meals in DR as food quality not good. eg veal, some pasta. Entertainment - Not up to previous voyages standards, in fact pretty awful. Walked out of several events early and skipped the last two shows. Smoking should be banned on ships, jogging on deck 7 eliminated as I was nearly bowled over on two occasions (I'm only 80 and don't move as fast as I used to). Hopefully things will be better on our next cruise Sept 8-22 on the Ocean Princess.

Deteriorating service Island Princess, Med

Island Princess Cruise Review by asroc

I have just returned from a pleasant cruise aboard Island Princess, Aug 2-14.

Service -

8. Canada and USA four sheets of news have been cut out.

Food -