• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

GINA P
2-5 Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Sep 2015
Cabin: Balcony Stateroom

I booked this cruise, our first in 5 years for my husband and I to try and compensate for a very stressful year and also to celebrate our special birthdays!

Not a good start at Gatwick North check-in with BA/MSC due to lack of organisation. No separate check-in desk for MSC passengers unless you were an MSC Yacht Club Member! We were in the chaotic queuing system at BA for 1hr 45mins. No MSC Representative to advise. (I had tried to check us in online the day before but was told by MSC staff member on the phone that I did not need to). Eventually BA staff were calling out to passengers for our flight and others at similar time slot. They then opened a stand-by desk and some passengers could join the Yacht Club queue! By the time we checked in we had only 10 mins to get through Security and to the departure lounge to board. We literally had to run there! I suffer from Arthritis and should not have been doing this! I was annoyed that my husband and I were not seated together on the flight, he was at the rear of the plane and I was in the middle. I had specifically requested when I booked the cruise that we needed to sit together, as my husband suffers from anxiety and is not a good flyer. I spent the whole flight worrying about him and getting up to go and check on him. Very stressful for both of us really.

On arrival at Genoa we managed to find the MSC Reps, collect our luggage and board the transfer bus to the ship. On leaving the bus there was no one to tell us exactly where we had to go, no signs and no Rep! It was left to us all to find out! Checking in seemed to take ages but eventually we embarked.

Balcony Stateroom

Cabin B2

The cabin was lovely and the steward very courteous and helpful. He always seemed to be working and always with a smile!

Port Reviews

Genoa

Not happy with embarkation procedures - seemed to take forever! Did not have time to do an excursion as embarked and disembarked at Genoa.

Naples

Our excursion was cancelled by the tour operator, so we just went ashore. We had been to Naples before so were quite familiar with the Port. We enjoyed our walk-about.

Taormina (Messina)

A lovely place. A lot to see in such a small area near to the Port. We enjoyed our visit.

Palma de Mallorca (Majorca)

We have been to Palma a few times before so did not go ashore this time. Palma is a very interesting place to visit especially the Cathedral.

Barcelona

We have been to Barcelona before and it is a lovely place. The architecture especially is a must to see and also the Cathedral.

Marseille

We just went ashore for a short walk as my husband was not feeling too well. If not on an excursion you would need to take a taxi or bus to the City as it is a long way from the Port.

3 Helpful Votes