3. Nieuw Amsterdam
My wife and I are retired, seasoned travelers having experienced many land and cruise tours. For this cruise we arrived in Venice two days prior to disembarking for the Mediterranean. We spent two nites at the Rialto Hotel right at the Rialto Bridge. Our travel agent made the reservation, she did a wonderful job of it. Our ship was the Nieuw Amsterdam. It was adequate not overwhelmingly beautiful. The food and dining was overall just average. For activities I attended several computer classes that were very helpful; we attended most of the tour lectures, did the galley tour that was very informative and used the gym several times. The staff and their services on board were terrific. The ship crew was attentive particularly regarding the lost luggage issue I mention below. They did all they could to help however the end result was unsatisfactory. Relaying on Rick Steve's tour books to guide us to many enjoyable shore tours, we purchased advance tickets for Rome and Florence. We did self guided tours in Dobrovnik, Kotor and Corfu. We steered clear of most HAL shore tours except the bus ride to Florence, the Pompei Tour out of Naples and a wine/historic city tour in St. Tropez. The Pompei tour you may be able to do on your own and the wine tour in St. Tropez was just so so however the small town on the hill behind St. Tropez was wonderful. The last day on the ship we were in port at Barcelona and disembarked for the day to walk the Las Ramblas. This was a wonderful experience people watching, eating and feeling the culture. After disembarking the last day on ship we spent one more night in a nice hotel just above Las Ramblas. We had reservations for Gaudi church and walked the city. However in summary the final purpose of this review is to expose the total lack of concern from the management of HAL regarding an issue they created. Upon embarking for this cruise, HAL lost my sister-in-law's and my luggage for a total of five days. Everyone I talk to regarding this asks what did they do? Initially nothing. As it turns out they sent our luggage on a Norwegian Cruise Line ship to Greece. Five days on this cruise without all our personal belongs amounts to 40% of the cruise. I have since written letters to five upper managers including CEO's, President, etc. They responded by offering my sister-in-law and I a $250 discount on the next HAL cruise. Recently HAL is offering massive perks; drink cards worth $1400 per room, upgraded suites, third person free, etc. etc. if you book before mid-October. All we received was a $100 ship board credit to buy clothing and necessities and there is not much you can buy in any of the shops for $100 when just a pkg of underwear and socks cost me $56.00. This is an insult to any passenger but especially loyal repeat passengers when you see the above perks to new customers . I refuse to use HAL or any of it's affiliates for any future cruises.

Holland America Customer Service Stinks