3. Carnival Breeze
Solo cruiser out of Miami on September 12th in cabin 8475. Made reservation through travel agent. Wish I had made it through Carnival direct because of issues before departure, not related to Carnival. Embarkation was not smooth. Was told by Carnival to arrive between 12-1pm when I originally had an earlier time. This is the busiest time for checking in and boarding. It took over an hour to check in and then another 45 minutes waiting for my boarding section to board. Once on the ship I found my cabin AFT 8475. The room was standard, but comfortable and had an extended (over-sized) balcony which was a plus. It definitely was an improvement over the NCL Epic which I took out of Rome in May. The Epic's room was the most uncomfortable and poorly designed cabin I have ever stayed in. Now for the negative aspect of the cabin. Even though it is on the 8th deck I felt A LOT of sway (movement) of the ship while trying to sleep. I am not sure if it is because of the ship itself or the waters we were sailing through. It was hurricane season and the waves were a little higher than other cruises. So, NO complaints about the cabin itself. If you want an AFT cabin right on the AFT, I highly suggest this one. Now for the main complaints. First, I know I am not going to get 4 star food on a Carnival cruise. For that I cruise Princess or Holland, but I must say the food was sub-par. I am a "foodie" and eat all over. Carnival's appetizers were a joke. Example; I ordered the tuna app and received 2 pieces of tuna measuring 1 1/2"X 1"X 1/2". The shrimp cocktail was four-five salad shrimps with sauce, and the list goes on. The main meals were "okay". They had surf and turf but it was $20 extra and were very small portions. I know, I ordered one the first night. The filet was tasty but VERY small, as was the slipper lobster tail. Not worth the extra $20. The dining room staff for my section were very friendly and helpful. I NEVER saw the Head Maitre d/ Waiter, except at the front door upon entering. He never came to my table, nor anywhere around my table. On other cruises the Maitre d would come over at least three times during the cruise to check on service and food. Very poor management on Carnival's part. The dinner selections were not varied and seemed to be very repetitive. It did appear that they saved the best appetizers for the last night of cruising. So, the MDR was average and disappointing. I know I am jumping around but my 2nd main complaint was the Muster Drill. On other cruises I was directed to a certain location where I met with a STAFF member who checked me in on a scanner and then they gave the muster information. Carnival Breeze told people to go to their assigned stations where they sat for over an hour, without anyone checking them in. Poor safety management. The 3rd complaint is disembarkation at ports. The first port we were told to lineup at a certain time so we could get off the ship. This is where Carnival REALLY failed. There was about 100 of us in line, waiting calmly. Then people came down the stairs and crammed into this small spaces. Then the elevators opened up and more people exited and smashed into the already lined up people pushing them further back. Then the elderly with their scooters and wheelchairs came pushing their way to the front through the crowd. I Do blame the ignorant people for the way they were acting, but the MAIN BLAME is on Carnival for NOT having STAFF there to properly direct and keep peace. There were several incidents between people with the pushing and shoving. I don't want to talk too bad about the entertainment, or the lack of. There was a magician on board that was actually pretty good, but that is about as for as it goes. The Punchliner Comedy shows by George Lopez were amateurish. They should replace the comedy and put in a review like Howl at the Moon (Dueling pianos) like NCL has. That show was packed EVERY night and was FUN. I guess living in Las Vegas and seeing Vegas shows, plus going to Chicago and NYC has given me a different perspective of what is good. I did like the couple that played in the main lounge area near Guest Services. She was very pretty and had a very nice voice. Capt. Bob at the piano bar was okay. The nightclub was a ship's nightclub. A bunch of 20 year olds drinking and talking smack. I LOVED Guy Fieri's hamburgers. They were the saving grace for lunchtime. Good old school hamburgers. Real tasty. Some people's reviews were not as complimentary but I think most people would love them. I really did not like the food at the other bars. I even didn't care for the soft serve ice cream on this ship. I will give cudos to Bonsai, the Japanese sushi restaurant. The sushi was actually pretty good for a ship sushi. I did eat at the pay Italian restaurant. I went there for lunch so there was NO CHARGE. I am SO happy because after being in Italy for a month and eating authentic Italian food this was VERY lacking. My friend Ron raved about the Meat Lasagna but it was nasty, to me. If you had an occasion to visit Guest Services you would always find a line. The area was VERY small unlike NCL or Holland which have open areas with several STAFF. I only had one issue and it was handled with minimal problem. I thank the men and women bartenders on The Breeze who were always nice and remembered my name and drink. The whole working staff, not including officers, are all hard working people whom deserve our thanks for providing us with outstanding service. They work 10-14 hour days, 7-days a week for 4-7 months depending on their contracts. I can speak for most Americans when I say we are spoiled and most of us would never work that hard for that long for the wages these men and women receive. Thank you for all the hard work. Finally, although there are other minor complaints I will not mention, is the disembarkation. All I will say for this is I was glad to be home in the USA. It took awhile but I knew I was home. These complaints are all situations that can be corrected or improved on. It appears that Carnival just does not want to do it. Overall, the trip was average. Nothing exciting. I did meet some very nice people on the ship who I will keep in touch with. Happy Sailing

First and Most Likely Last Carnival Cruise

PuggleLover’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Breeze price drops

Aft-View Extended Balcony
Cabin 8N 8475
This cabin is a gem. Very nice size with an extra large balcony. I did feel a lot of sway during the cruise while I was trying to sleep. I am not sure if it is the ship or the waters we were sailing through but it was rough on several nights.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins