3. Carnival Ecstasy
While planning a girl's weekend recently, the bride picked Carnival because she had heard about the "younger" crowd and wanted to have a good time where the cruise was geared toward younger people. Apparently it was a popular weekend, because there were 9 other bachelorette and bachelor parties that weekend. We were excited to all be on the same floor, as it made sense if they thought we would have similar interests. The problem is, our cruise was booked 7+ months ago and our accommodations were massively uncomfortable and demeaning. As my other complaints with Carnival, the service was atrocious and the food was mediocre on the nights that it was not awful! I was very pleasantly surprised by the ship's appearance, as it was more updated than I would have thought it to be. I do not need much but a clean bed and bathroom when on a cruise for accommodations but that did not even offer this. We booked two rooms for 5 girl's and as 3 of us are avid cruisers, we knew that we would receive a 3rd bed in the form of a pull down/bunk etc what we did not expect to happen was have a LAWN CHAIR with the thinnest mattress possible. The end of the mattress was off the lawn chair (which they referred to as a trundle!) and I wound up sleeping in a SINGLE bed with another girl (foot to face) because we could NOT sleep on that lawn chair. It is disgusting to think that this accommodation would be adequate to anyone, so I politely asked the steward to find us another room- He told us that the other rooms with pull down beds were taken and that there were too many people on that floor with 3 or more people. That evening while hanging out with the other groups, we went in to 9 rooms booked within 4 other parties - each room contained either king beds with bunks on top, two bunks on top and one queen , etc etc Compared to our TWO SINGLE AND ONE LAWN CHAIR I would say this is an issue. If you can not accommodate people without having them sleep on a lawn chair- do not allow them to book. This type of accommodation would be something I might allow my 4 year old to sleep on, but probably not. The first night, service was fabulous in the dining room, second and third night the people were so rude they actually made one girl cry - (I forgot if it was the 2nd or 3rd night, but they were rude both nights). The "Smoking area" in the casino bar changed every hour or so based on which bartenders were there. One day I was sitting to the left of the smoking sign and bartender moved it to the other side and stated "If there are no seats you can stand behind them to smoke" - so later, I did just that but was approached by another bartender who yelled at me and told me to "put my cigarette out" if I could not find a seat in the smoking section. We were constantly waiting on bartenders to serve us and even approach us and when they did, if we ordered so much as anything more difficult than a wine, it was messed up. Luckily, we stayed in the Bahamas overnight so we had a blast spending our money offsite at Senor Frogs because quite frankly, I was not willing to give them Carnival any extra money - As far as I am concerned, being expected to sleep on the floor means I over paid them. Our steward was friendly enough, especially after a 50.00 tip between our two rooms but he still failed to fill our ice buckets and clean our room without stepping on what was expected to be a bed. (That had more foot prints on it than you could imagine because navigating the room with that on the floor was a JOKE). Disembarkation was pretty decent aside from the chaos of guests who like to act as if they are not used to be in public, which is of course, no fault of Carnival's. If I had it to do over again, I would have begged the bride to pick another cruise line, as I have traveled with 3 or 4 people in one room on NCL, Princess and RC without EVER being expected to sleep on the floor. While "fun" was had- it was a great disappointment to spend so much money and be treated like literal dirt on a shoe.

This is the last time, Carnival.

Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review by vanamarie