3. Norwegian Epic
We travelled as a group of 4, all previous cruises, 3 of which had cruised with NCL previously, albeit not on the Epic. Embarkation - We had arranged a pick-up and private tour (Tours by Locals) following our early morning arrival into Barcelona. We arrived at the port about 2.45 by which time there were no queues and we simply walked straight onto the ship. Cases arrived within an hour or so. Ship - This is a large ship. The layout is a little strange in that there are no central stairs or elevators as there have been on all the other ships on which we have sailed. As others have said, the casino seems disproportionately large taking up a large section of deck six midships. Given the amount of time we spent in port on this cruise, it also meant that for large chunks of the day, it was not being used. The pool deck is very crowded and noisy when not in port although quieter areas can be found if you do not mind being away from the bar (only one in the main pool area), the music and activities. Cabin - We had booked adjacent B6 cabins which were on the "hump" close to the aft lift/elevator. Cabin more cramped than those on other cruise lines although plenty of storage space. The arrangement of the shower/toilet/sink was "unusual" and took a little getting used to! Dining - We had the Ultimate Dining Package and so for 5 of the 7 nights of our cruise, we had pre booked tables in specialty restaurants some weeks prior to sailing. We were very glad we had done this as when I went into my booking a couple of weeks before leaving with a view to changing a couple of the bookings, I found that all of the popular times were already booked up. I would definitely recommend anything other than the main dining room be booked well in advance. Of the restaurants, I think we all enjoyed Teppenyaki and Le Bistro the best. The steak in Cagneys was excellent, but the service (surprisingly) was somewhat hit and miss. We ate in the main dining room on one evening and in the Garden Cafe for lunch on a couple of days and found both to be comparable with the likes of RCL. We ate breakfast in the main dining room on a couple of occasions to avoid the hustle and bustle of the Garden Cafe and again everything was perfectly acceptable. Entertainment - I would say there was more going on in the evenings on this ship than on any of my previous cruises and there was plenty of variety. We went to a couple (Beatles, Motown, Howl at the Moon) and found them enjoyable. Ports - Naples - having already visited Pompeii and Capri, we had booked a car/guide (seeamalfi.com) and had the day touring the Amalfi Coast which we would highly recommend. Civitevecchia - car and driver again booked (airportshuttle.it). We had prebooked tickets for the Colosseum in advance and spent the rest of he day in a whistlestop tour of the eternal city. We decided to forego the Vatican Museum (which we had visited on an earlier trip) and were glad we had done so - Rome is very busy and it is impossible to give everything justice. Livorno - final car and guide (this time papillonservice.com). We drove up to Portvenure and then took the ferry along the coast passing Riomaggiore, & Manarola arriving at Vernazza where we were met again and taken to Corniglia. On the way back we had a brief (30mins) in Pisa Cannes - stayed on the ship Palma - walked into town for some last minute shopping Certainly there is no reason why you should feel obliged to take ship excursions which seemed very expensive compared to what we had been able to find privately Disembarkation - We had an early morning flight and so we opted for the DIY disembarkation, leaving the ship at 8am and getting into a cab without any problem. I have to say that the whole disembarkation process looked a lot more relaxed than that seen on previous cruiselines. Overall When all or most of the passengers are on board, the ship can seem very crowded so I would not be so keen to sail on Epic for a more "sea day" intensive cruise. However I enjoyed my week and would not discount sailing on NCL in the future

Enjoyable Med Cruise

Cabin -

Dining -

Entertainment -

Ports -

Cannes - stayed on the ship

Palma - walked into town for some last minute shopping

Disembarkation -

Overall

rubyted’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Epic price drops

• Private Tour
    Picked up from airport at 1030 and dropped off at ship 1445. All communications and payment arrangements went without a hitch. Guide was very knowledgeable with excellent English and prepared to tailor tour to fit in with our exact requirements.
    View All 51 Private Tour Reviews