• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

Sail Date: Sep 2015
Cabin:
The wonderful buffet magnifique
Games on deck

Having read some of the negative reviews about Magellan I can't say I was exactly looking forward to our recent trip but my fears were unfounded. From start to finish the cruise was absolutely amazing. Our arrival at the Tilbury car park was easy and hassle free - our luggage was whisked off and we boarded the shuttle bus to the departure lounge. There was a long queue but everyone was attended to very quickly and we had soon had our photos taken and received our security passes and were on board.

We were taken to our cabins - 4117 and 4119 and our luggage was waiting for us!! We had taken extra coat hangers, as we had read that there weren't many coat hangers and this is true so pack a few extra. However that is the only downside - everything else in our cabin was perfect. There is plenty of soap (a dispenser in the shower), loads of storage space and a really brilliant shower. I have to say it was great being on the lower deck too as we made ourselves walk up to decks 8, 9, 10 and 11 where all the action was to make us feel better for all that amazing food we were eating!!

The food can absolutely NOT be criticised in any way. I think the fact they have two restaurants, the Kensington and Waldorf where you are allocated a table for your entire stay is a brilliant idea and we ate in our allocated Kensington every night. Despite having intentions to try the Bistro we never did as it was just so nice to have a 5 course meal served at our table. These restaurants are also used for breakfast and lunch although that is free seating, and they do get busy although we always found a seat in the Waldorf when we did go to breakfast. More often than not my husband and I skipped breakfast (which finished at 10 - a tad early for us!!), and then had lunch in the Bistro - we always managed to find a seat but I do admit it gets busy there. I never saw anything duplicated in the 12 nights we were on board - we had something different every day for lunch and dinner and the food really was brilliant and beautifully served.

Cabin Lower deck outside

Really lovely cabin - plenty of space, comfy bed, powerful shower, hair dryer, blackout blind, safe.

Port Reviews

Copenhagen

Loved Copenhagen - had plenty of time to go on the open bus tour.

Rostock (Warnemunde)

Were provided with plenty of information to make it easy to go on the train to Rostock and have a look around before returning to Warnemunde and having a look round there too - Rostock is so worth the visit.

Tallinn

Loved Tallin - an unexpected delight.

St. Petersburg

Highlight of the trip - this Palace is beyond the imagination.

St. Petersburg

Had a good look at St. Petersburg from the coach and several stops for photos, plus a stop for souvenir shopping where we were offered complimentary, tea, coffee, vodka and cherry brandy!! Loved Peter & Paul Fortress.

Helsinki

Probably the most disappointing port of call, but plenty to see nonetheless and easy to do on the sightseeing bus.

Stockholm

Again, easy to get around but unfortunately it rained for most of the time we were there and we actually only had 5 hours on shore which was a shame as the sun came out later!!

6 Helpful Votes